chapter 38

NOOR

"What about Hudah then?, What about the promise you made to her that you'll marry her?? How are you going to deal with it?"

He stared at me for a second before he open his mouth to speak. "I will think about what to do with her later, but we must solve this problem now"

My eyes started shining from tears, i dreamed of this, getting married to Kaleem but not this way. I want him not his money, i can't be greedy when it comes to him.

"I appreciate your kindness but I don't need your money yah Kaleem, I'm fine living poor or even better living like this but I can't do this thank you!" i said in a shaky voice and stood up.
"Go and fulfill your promise instead, marry Hudah. She won't like being a second wife" i said and ran to my bedroom while Kaleem's gaze followed me, i can feel it.

This is heartbreaking, really heartbreaking. Like a hausa proverb says (ga ci ga rashi) similarly, i also got Kaleem my dream guy, but lost him at the same time.

I throw myself on my bed crying and picked up my abandoned phone that was left here since morning.
Among hundreds of missed calls i got from Yusuf, Husnah and Kaleem. I decided to returns husnah's call first because i really need her right now.

"Husnaaah..." I cried her name and she suddenly sounds worried.

"What happened Noor? Have they done something to you again?"

I sniffed hard crying, "please come over Husnah I'm going to die, my heart is going to blast any moment. I just rejected yah Kaleem Husnah what am i going to do?!"

"Calm down Noor I'm coming over right away okay? Just give me 5 minutes" she says and disconnect the call.

I threw the phone away, my precious iPhone 13 pro max is now useless, I don't even care if it broke.
I continued crying my eyes out and ignored my ringing phone that lays on the ground till Husnah arrives 15 minutes later.

"Innalillahi wa inna ilaihirraji'un (from Allah 'god' we are and to him we shall return)" she exclaimed, hurrying onto the bed where i lay lifelessly.

"Noor" she called shaking me vigorously and I'm just like a cooked spaghetti, with dried trails of tears on my face.

"What have you done to yourself you fool?!" She suddenly burst out crying hugging my head to her stomach.

I don't even have the strength to answer her so i kept exhaling and supplicating mentally.

We stayed like that for hours untill when it's time for asr prayer, that's when Husnah drags me out of the bed and pushed me to the bathroom to perform ablution.

I prayed and prayed and prayed!! Till i was completely drained. I then started making Dua, crying out to Allah because i believe that only 'he' can help me in this situation.

"Let me get you some food, your stomach was growling since" said Husnah, standing up from her praying mat.

A knock came at the door when she was about to reach for it. When she opened the door our beautiful bride Zahra, stood there with her iPad in hand together with Lailah and Ameerah. They both look distressed.

"Where's Noor?" I heard Zahra asked so i turned around.

"She's praying" answered Husnah but Zahra ignored her and led her way inside after she saw me.

She stood in front of me and showed her iPad screen "what's this?" She asked dryly.

I looked into what the screen displayed. 'HOTTEST WEDDING OF THE WEEK: FORMER CEO OF ROYALA BUILDINGS, THE SON OF ALHAJI ALIYYU OMAR AND THE OLDEST HEIR OF THE FAMILY GETTING MARRIED TO HIS ADOPTED SISTER THIS WEEKEND.'-it reads. And there's a picture of me and Kaleem under with full information.

"What's this?" I asked back, equally appalled.

"Can't you read? Or you want me to read it out to you before you can understand? Huh..? Ok i will do that!"

She took back the iPad and started reading the news heading. "Do you get it or should i read another one?" She yelled and continued swiping through the headlines.

"'greedy lady for luxury matrimony'. 'Bewitched by an innocent looking little witch'. 'Fortune changes from penury to opulence overnight'. 'BLACK MONEY LOVE nigerian version'...." She puts the iPad down "And so on!! What have you done to my brother Noor?!!" She yelled again, this time crying.

I didn't respond, i couldn't respond. I just sat there, dumbfounded. What is happening? When did i agree to marry yah Kaleem? How did the media knows about this?

"This isn't how we're supposed to talk this out Zahra" Lailah interjected.

"Then how are we supposed to?" Zahra shouted on top of her voice " do you want me to get on my knees and beg her to leave my brother alone?"

"She's nothing but a gold digger" Ameerah added.

I nodded, finally understanding what they were talking about and stood up. I snatch Zahra's iPad and got out of the room and so they all followed me.
I ran down the stairs and up the stairs to Kaleem's door, giving it the loudest thud my fist could handle.

"Yah Kaleem come out please, what have you done to me?" I yelled finally letting tears fall from my eyes.

"He's not inside" a maid informed us "he's at Innah's room"

I led my way down the stairs before she closes her mouth and went into Innah's room without even asking for permission.
And he sat there, opposite to his grandma smiling. They turned to me and Innah looks confused, i was always walking on eggshells when I'm around her but she didn't get why I'm suddenly weirdly brave. But Kaleem isn't confused cause he already saw this coming, he's only waiting for it. He bite his lower lip but couldn't speak, He has that bright yet strong aura around him that makes my heart relax and my body becomes weak when i set my eyes on him.

I want to shout in his ears and hit him with this iPad for destroying my image but I can't even yell at him. So i go with talking in a normal tone.

"What's this yah Kaleem?" I asked showing him what Zahra showed me.

He stood up "let's talk outside Noor"

"No! Just explain to me what this means! Why people are accusing me of things and calling me names! And why you did this"

"Don't pretend like it's not your work Noor..." Started Ameerah.

"Just shut up!!!" i and Zahra shouted simultaneously "this is a family matter!" Zahra added.

"I did that so that nobody can stop this wedding" Kaleem explained.

"Even if it's me?" Answered mother out of nowhere. We all turned to look at her, she walked to where Kaleem was standing and furiously raises her hand in the air.
The poor guy just closed his eyes shut, tightening his jaws, waiting for the slap to land on his cheek but Innah stopped mother Midway, she pushed her away from Kaleem before she dropped her violent hand down.

"If i allow it then even you can't stop it" declared Innah. "How can you disgrace your son in front of his inferiors? Have you ever seen me raised my hand on your husband? Or has any of his siblings told you that? Yes i punish him whenever he made mistakes but unlike you i love my kids, I'm not just obsessed with them and i respect their likings and decisions" she gave me a flat look.

"I may not have liked Noor. but if my grandson loves her, i must love her too.
So this marriage must happen!"

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

#follow
#vote
#comment

Much love ❤️
Ummu Najma 🥰