Chapter One

My dad said that I’m not active enough for a fifteen-year-old, so I decided to take a walk this morning. Unfortunately, things haven’t gone too well.

A few minutes after leaving the house, I almost ran into someone who was walking a dog. I’m absolutely terrified of dogs, and that dog was huge. I ended up running to another street.

Shortly after, there was this old man smoking right next to me. I had to hold my breath while getting away.

Smoking really is the worst. It kills others faster than the actual smoker. What’s more messed up than that?

Right now, it’s been five minutes since I left the house. I would continue my walk, but I think these mishaps are a sign I need to get back home. That’s it. I’m going back.

I turn back, feeling a little hungry. Dad said he’d be making pancakes today. They’re my favorite. I can’t wait to get home.

It looks like there’s something pink coming in my direction. Is that a person?

I can see her now. It’s a girl with a pink cloak and pink boots. She’s cute – unnaturally cute, and it makes me feel like I’m imagining her or something. She can’t actually be real.

She’s looking at me now. Actually, we’re looking at each other, and it’s getting weird. I want to stop looking at her, but I can’t. I literally cannot look away. It’s like something is holding my gaze in my place. I hope she doesn’t think I’m weird.

Now, it looks like she’s saying something, but I can’t hear it. Once her mouth stops moving though, I notice that my eyes are free to move again. Is that a coincidence? Instead of thinking about that, I look at the ground. I don’t want to look at her and get ‘stuck’ again.

There’s definitely something off about that girl. Ever since I laid my eyes on her, I felt that something went wrong, though I couldn’t quite put my finger on it.

As we walk past each other, I get this bad feeling, like I’ve…lost something. I think I might be imagining things because of the hunger. That must be it.

Once I eat some pancakes, I’m sure I’ll feel a lot better.