The Good Fellow Brandon

There was once a seven year old boy who lived in a small island. He’s name was Brandon, he was a good son to his parents, and a good friend. He loved plants and animals. Being a son of a town’s Mayor Brandon posses a kind heart to all people who are in need.

One day, he went to the shore to play sand castle and picked pieces of empty seashells. On his way, he met a poor harmless Philippine turtle (pawikan) crawled in the sand going to the sea with tears in her eyes “What happened to you my friend turtle why are you  crying?” asked Brandon. “Hu..hu.. my friend, I’ am afraid that one day there will be no more like me in this world” The turtle continue sobbing. “What! but why?” Brandon asked in surprised. “ A group of  bad men went to our sanctuary in the nearby islets and grab all the eggs buried. They always do it every time my sisters went to the shore to lay their eggs no more babies come to be with us.”  said the turtle. “ Can I help you, my Friend? He asked, for the turtle looked desperately. “Will you please tell your father about our situation? The turtle begged. “Don’t worry,  my friend turtle I tell father to protect you and your families, I don’t  want to lost you.” assured Brandon as he led the turtle back to the water.

When he arrived home, he immediately told his father about the situation of the pawikans and how their life was in danger. The father, who was also kind to animals, took pity about the sea turtle. He told Brandon that he will create an association in  their town called “Bantay Dagat” ( Sea Keepers) to protect marines animals from people who will took advantages and destroy marine life especially sea turtle or the very own Philippine pawikan. “Thank you father”, Brandon smiles as he hugged  his father tightly. “You’re Welcome son, I will do what I can do to help this earth we live in,” the father said. “Father, how important is the sea turtle to us?,  ask Brandon.  “You know son, sea turtle plays an important role under the sea. They eats leaves of sea plants, they will going to trim it and so new shoots will grow to make the plants  grows healthy, A nice place for fishes to live in. If there be no sea turtle, plants will die and fishes  will lost their home and might die somewhere under the sea. What would the fisherman’s catches when the go to catch fish? There will be no fish for us to eat too”, the father explained. “Now I understand more father” Brandon replied.

In the next morning, The Mayor together with his council men and members of the “Bantay Dagat” with Brandon and friends, went to the nearby islet the pawikan sanctuary to have the costal clean up and tree planting. They bring with them hundreds of Mahogany and Narra seedlings. They believe that trees provide oxygen for humans to breathe and provide homes for the birds and other animals. Growing trees  around the sanctuary would be source of  some of life’s basic necessities. The groups also picked some garbage along the shore they separate the biodegradable from non biodegradable. Non biodegradable garbage were bring back to the town for recycling purposes. They also put on some warning signs for the tourist to be aware that the place is a turtle sanctuary and not suited for over stay picnics. There are also community people in the town who volunteered their selves for a weekly routine to guard the  sanctuary and maintain its cleanliness.

After a year, one sunny morning,  Brandon and the turtle met in the shore. “How are you now my friend turtle?, ask Brandon. The pawikan smile at him and said, “ I am very thankful to you and your father for your kindness and giving the marine creatures such importance. Now thousands of us are happy and lived peacefully under the sea. Thank you for saving our life friend, ”  Since then,  Brandon and his friend pawikan develop a beautiful friendship.