shadows

After our little getaway Harry and I were stronger than ever. My parents were starting to warm up to the idea of Harry and I- my father had actually survived my mother telling him about us although he had a lot of doubts calling me a few times to point out the pros and cons of our relationship but he could see that I was committed to this so he let it slide for the time being. We were together whenever we had free time supporting one another either with Harry's legal matters regarding Antony and his divorce or with my school work and my parents' worrying. Chris was a bit skeptical, too but he didn't act on it.

"God he is so cute ...he looks so much like you it's weird; he even has your dimples Harry" Rose exclaimed when Harry brought baby Antony over at our apartment for the first time.

"Oh he is so adorable...look he is smiling at me...look Valerie" she was so excited.

"Enjoy it while it lasts Rose, he actually finds you really funny, that's why he is smiling...to be honest he isn't smiling at you, he is laughing at you" he teased her as always.

"Aren't you the sweetest thing little Antony, too bad your dad is such an ass..." she said without changing her tone still playing with the baby not giving Harry the satisfaction of acknowledging his presence.

"Stop it you two" I said and unbuckled Antony from his carry cot who stretched his tiny hands for me to hold him. He was definitely fond of me giving me the most adorable smiles, but then again he was so sociable, rarely ever cried. I held him carefully and he grabbed my hair and pulled it to put it in his mouth and Harry untangled it from his little fingers the baby laughing.

"God this is the greatest sound I have ever heard" he said when he heard him. "And the two of you together...perfect" he said and took out his phone to take a picture of us with Antony putting his fingers in my mouth smiling...

"So now I have a new wallpaper on my phone" he said proudly and showed Rose the screen.

"Perfect!" he repeated.

I spread Antony's blanket on the sofa with one hand while holding him with the other and then I put him on his back to play with him.

"Don't get all cosy and comfortable both of you...I need to get him to my parents'. They haven't seen him for a while... five minutes and I'll go babies" he chuckled.

***

With Harry and Antony back at his home I had plenty of time to spare before going to work. All my assignments were done and sent to my professors and I even helped Rose with one of hers. She always had trouble with Literary Theory and Criticism and I owed her for helping me with Psycholinguistics - I know they are as boring as they sound- so I helped her out with this one. I decided to hit the gym which I had clearly neglected with these new events in my life. Rose being occupied with schoolwork I packed my gym bag and left for a much needed workout.

After an hour and a half on the elliptic, the treadmill, working on abs, lifting light weights and following the trainer's instructions I was completely worn out. I gulped down the last water from my bottle putting my towel around my neck heading for the showers. The steaming water soothed my muscles and soon I was dressed in leggings, uggs and a footer. Bag on my shoulder fiddling with my keys I approached my car which was parked at the university parking lot, the gym being in the university premises, a facility available only to us for the greatest prices.

Pressing the button to unlock the boot I placed my bag in and went around to open the door...that's the last thing I remember.

LEO's POV

Looking at her in that hospital bed unconscious, the beeping sound of the monitor drilling my brain I felt helpless and furious. The only girl I have ever really cared about, the only girl that was worth my time and attention lying on a hospital bed. Who the fuck could do something like that to such a pure soul, such a beautiful face...It was all my fault! If I hadn't told her about Harry's feelings, if I hadn't dragged him along with me that night...none of this would have happened.