Chapter 1: He is, but he isn't...

It had been a long summer afternoon at Aihara Academy, where many of the students were already leaving for the day. Everyone gathered near their lockers to change out their shoes and say their goodbyes to their classmates, just like any other day.

Many were walking on their own as they headed home, while others walked in small groups, laughing as they all headed in the same general direction. It was a normal, everyday routine, hardly anything different then what they were use to.

Their routine was imbedded into their minds because of a strict school rule... that no student from Aihara Academy was to be seen wandering around town in their school uniform when school was out... no exceptions.

- - -

"Ummm... I'm a little... umm... nervous... with being here" said Nene as she sat in the restaurant booth with Yuzu, Harumi and Matsuri, still in their school uniforms.

"It's no big" said Harumi, enjoying her cold drink as she sat across from Nene. "We deserve a break like this now and then. Besides, it's burning up out there."

"Yeah" said Yuzu, seated next to Harumi, "as long as we don't get caught and I get home before Mei finds out, it'll be a cinch."

"Yeah, IF she doesn't find out" said Matsuri, seated next to Nene. "I swear, Mei can be such a pain when she dishes out those punishments."

"You're just mad cause you got busted last week" said Harumi.

"Well yeah!" said Matsuri, now sounding bitter. "And I had to clean those bathrooms from top to bottom. My arms are still sore from all the scrubbing."

"And yet, you still came here, in your uniform, just like the rest of us. So you don't have a reason to complain" said Harumi.

"Come on guys" said Yuzu, "we came her to relax and chill, not argue. The only reason I suggested coming here is cause I know Mei won't be home right away today to bust me."

"Yeah, you're right" said Harumi. "Besides, I'm too tired to do much else. So it's nice to just kick it for a while."

"Yeah, I know what you mean" said Yuzu as she began to take a drink. "All this studying and in this heat... they can't really blame us for doing this."

"Well... ummm... maybe just a... a little bit then" said Nene, trying not to fidget in her seat.

"Yeah I guess" said Matsuri, who was also drained as he took a drink.

"And the studying's only gonna get worst from here on out" said Harumi. "The older we get, the higher grade we're in, they're just gonna keep expecting more from us."

"Well you can't say that we have it easy" said Matsuri, motioning to herself and Nene. "These test we're taking are just as rough."

"Oh please" said Yuzu as she rested her face onto her arm on the table. "Compared to the type of test we're taking now, what you're taking is a piece of cake."

"For sure" said Harumi. "I'd kill for a test like we use to take back then. And I can only imagine that the mock university exams will be a lot worst."

"Don't even bring that up" said Yuzu with a groan. "I'm gonna have to study extra hard if I wanna pass. It's a scary thought."

"I don't know" said Harumi. "My study routine worked for me all this time. As long as I apply myself, I should be alright. At least you have Mei to help you study, so you should be alright too."

"Yeah maybe" said Yuzu, "but I still worry."

"Glad it's something we don't have to worry about yet" said Matsuri as she motioned to Nene.