Cinnamon

“We’re running out of time here!” John yelled at me as we were running down the sidewalk. Like I didn’t already know. 

“Well, hurry it up then!” I said as I passed him. 

We rounded the corner, the taxi just out of sight. But we still persisted. 

The taxi slowed down, letting a passenger inside. That was the end. We weren’t going to make it. After all that running, and we were going to be late for a briefing. Watson made me go to them. Said they would help me out with the case, even though I already knew what I was doing.

“See?... I... told you... we shouldn’t... have tried...” I said, doubling over and breathing heavily. He just started laughing.

“Well, I guess you really are the best, Sherlock” he said smiling as I joined in the laughter.

After all of the wheezing and the coughing, we finally started walking to the nearest restaurant. We could both use a cup of tea. 

When we sat down, I began analyzing the people in the shop out of boredom. One particular girl caught my eye. I couldn’t tell anything from her. She was just... I didn’t know. Now, that was a first. She wasn’t plain, or I would have figured out something about her. I kept trying to figure her out, not even hearing John as he called my name.

Then there was a sharp pain in my hand.

“Ow!” I yelped as Watson’s hand retracted.

“The briefing was just finished. They said that you’ll find this one interesting” he said, handing me his phone. I studied it, picking out bits and details.

“The commissioner did it” I said, handing it back. He looked at me curiously. I sighed, and began to explain.

“She called the police. Her boss was dead on the floor. She presumed he was dead, even though there was no blood, since it was strangulation. How would she know he was dead?”

“She might have felt his pulse. And why do you say that she presumed that he was dead?” he said. I just smirked.

“Tsk, tsp, tsk. There were no fingerprints. He was hunched over his desk, so she wouldn’t have been able to see if he was breathing or not. Anyways, the evidence lies in the fact that she called the police. Not the paramedics. See? Why on earth would she not call the ambulance? She wanted the position as chief, and she was runner up if he died” I said, leaning back in my chair, feeling pleased with myself. He looked at me with a crooked smile, shaking his head.

“Simply amazing” he said, in pure awe. That was my favorite part. The reaction. I heard a breathy laugh from behind me, as if they were mocking me.

“Sorry, but you got something wrong” said a female voice. I spun around, my temper full blown. It was the girl from before. She had a sweet face, but behind that was a pure ego.

“She didn’t want his place. It was an affair. She was sleeping with him for the benefits, but she was married. He had taken a photo of her, and was threatening to send it to her husband when she said she didn’t wan’t to sleep with him anymore. She had been so surprised, and had killed him without a second thought. 

“Once she had realized what she had done, she figured that she could take the pictures from his phone, and delete them. Or better yet, destroy the phone. That way, no one would ever know.

“She wasn’t very smart, so she just put it in the trash bin, after crushing it up. I think you’ll find the evidence in one of those dumpsters” she said. I was practically snarling by that point. How could she have been better than me?

“How do you know? Where did you get the fact that she was married? The photo?” I said, losing my confidence every second.

“Well, I read the news article, as well as the last three paragraphs, unlike you” she said with a smile. I turned around and snatch the phone, and sure enough, there were more paragraphs. I gulped. Watson just looked stunned. 

“So who are you then? Some kind of big-shot detectives or something?” she said, resting her chin in her palm, and her elbow on the back of my chair.

Consulting Detectives. Don’t group me with the idiot police” I said, brushing off her elbow from my chair.

“Ah, so you’re Sherlock Holmes? I thought you’d be more... unfashionable” she said with a snarky tone. 

“Unfashionable?” I said, wondering what she was talking about. 

“Yeah! Have you seen the picture online with that atrocious hat you have on?” she said, like it was the worst thing possible that I could’ve done.

“Atrocious? The people on my blog like that hat!” I said proudly, not knowing why.

“Ha, well, I guess that’s your fans for you. Just as crazy as you” she laughed. Now she was just being an ass.

She began to walk off, but I stopped her.

“I’m going to challenge you. Come to 221B Baker Street tomorrow at, say, 5:00, and be prepared for a tough challenge” I said, my head held high. She nodded, and took a few steps, but stopped.

“The name’s Cinn. Wait for me” she said without turning around. Cinn? What kind of name was that? But before I could ask her, she was gone.