A Meeting of Two Rangers

"Uh, are you sure Zayto and I should interview for this reporting job?" Y/N asked hesitantly as he, Zayto, Amelia, and Ollie walked into the busy building of Buzz Blast.

"I agree with Y/N. I only have experience fighting monsters," Zayto said.

"Ditto," Y/N said.

"Call that tackling tough tasks," Amelia countered.

"And piloting a giant zord."

"You have flashy style."

"And taking care of Sporix Beasts."

"Add that to fighting Orgs and Putrids," Y/N said.

"And umm, you both recycle. Y/N is an animal lover just like his dad and he plays a mean game of pool like his father and Zayto has spirit," Amelia said. She turned and grinned at them. "See?"

"Okay, gotcha," Zayto smiled back. "Cool, cool, coolio." He did finger guns. Y/N, Amelia, and Ollie frowned at that.

"I don't know where you learned that, but your interview is this way," Amelia said, pointing to the stairs as Zayto followed her.

Y/N glanced at Ollie. "You taught him that didn't you?"

Ollie smiled sheepishly. "Don't tell Amelia I taught him that." They followed the others up the stairs.

Y/N, Ollie, and Amelia waited for Zayto to finish his interview with Ms. Jane Fairview, the editor-in-chief at Buzz Blast. Y/N already conducted his interview first and now was waiting patiently for his friend to finish his.

The sound of a harmonica caught Y/N's attention as a young guy around his age was playing on the small instrument. He had dark brown hair with lighter highlights mixed in. He wore a black leather jacket and boots with ripped jeans and  a black messenger bag. He had an earring on his left ear and a ring on his right thumb. He was really cute.

As if sensing his thoughts. Harmonica–guy turned to Y/N and winked as he continued to play. Y/N felt heat creep up on his neck at that wink. Not that he had a problem with looking at other guys. He just gets really flustered sometimes. Especially around cute guys.

"Umm, cool harmonica," Amelia said. "Catchy tune." The guy in the leather jacket gave her a shy smile.

"Hey, are you going for the reporter job?" Ollie asked him.

"Yeah, Jane told me to wait," Harmonica–guy said. "I'm trying to earn money so I can buy a keytar."

Amelia and Ollie frown at that. Having never heard of a keytar before.

"It's like a keyboard that you can play like a guitar," Y/N mumbled.

"Exactly!" Harmonica–guy cries. "You know your instruments?"

"Sort of," Y/N admitted. "My father is really big on music. He likes to play the flute."

"Cool," Harmonica–guy smiles. "They're not cheap, so fingers crossed."

The door to Ms. Fairview's office opens up as she and Zayto step out. She has three green binders in her hands. "Thanks for coming in. Y/N, Zayto, and Javi," Jane Fairview says. "As a final test, I'm giving you each an assignment. Whoever does better gets the job. Cool?"

"Ah, yes. Cool, cool, coolio," Zayto says again. Everyone is silent as they look at Zayto. "Umm... My friend Ollie taught me that." He clears his throat. "Amelia, you didn't hear that."

Amelia looks at Ollie. "Hmm."

Ollie smiles nervously.

"Javi, you'll do a story on the Nephrite Orb. It's a gemstone said to have mystical powers," Ms. Fairview says as she hands him a folder. "Go check it out at the museum."