The Days

Chapter 1:Rebecca        

Hi, I'm Rebecca Lotus.  Um . . . it's 3:29 PM and it's um . . .  May 19th 2204.  Sorry, I'm just a little nervous.  Tomorrow is reaping.  Oh, wait, you don't know.  Well, I live in Panem.  It's North America.  But after the great flood, it only spans from the Rockies to the Appalachians.  There are 12 districts, but I think there are actually 13, even though the capitol says it was destroyed.  Well, I live in District 4.  We're all about fishing.    My role model is Katniss Everdeen.  She is SO cool.  I wish I could be like her someday.    Well, anyway, back to the reaping.  Every year, we have the Hunger Games.  Twenty four people, a male and a female from each district, are put in a massive arena to fight to the death until one stands.  The reaping is the lottery in which the people are chosen.    Only people ages 12 through 18 can go into the Hunger Games, and I'm 14, turning 15 in 2 days.  So, I don't know if I should be worried.  My sister is Vanessa Lotus, and she's 10, so I don't need to worry about her.    My best friend is Jake Retters.  His family put 20 cards in the reaping.  I don't know why though.  That just means he has a better chance of getting in the Hunger Games.  I have 12 cards in the reaping.  Well, it's time or my fishing post, which is from 4:00 to 9:00, so, I'll be back in the morning.***

    I'm back, and it's that day.  I'm so nervous.  I'm walking to the ceremony right now.  Well, Revy Semonta is our district's escort.  She's O.K.  She's not snobby like District 2's escort.  Oh boy, I am nervous. It's the 100th Hunger Games, which means it's a Quarter Quell.  That's when the capitol changes the Hunger Games up a bit.  This year, though, they haven't told us yet, so I'm kind of scared too.  Well it's starting.

    "Welcome to the reaping of the 100th annual Hunger Games!!" Revy said.  "As you all know, it is a Quarter Quell!!  This Quarter Quell, the change up is drastic!!!!  Only females will be participating!!"

    Oh gosh, my chance of being picked just doubled.

    "Our first female tribute of District 4 is...  Venus Delantos!!" Revy said.

    VENUS!!!!!  She's my best girl friend.  I've known her since I was 3!!!

    Oh my.  Venus is walking up to the podium.

    "Hi... I'm Venus...  Um..., yeah," Venus said.

    "Our next female tribute is... Rebecca Lotus!!"

    AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm going into the Hunger Games!!!!!  Calm down.  Calm Down. Calm Down.

    "Come on down to the podium!" Revy said.

    I'm walking to the podium.  Breathe Rebecca, breathe.

    "Hi. . . Um. . . I'm Rebecca Lotus, actually Venus' best friend . . . yeah, bye now," I say.

    So yeah.  The ceremony just ended, and I'm saying good bye to my family.

    "Bye Vanessa.  Bye Mom and Dad.  I love you.  Bye!" I cry.

    Well, now Venus and I are on the train to The Capitol.  Oh My Gosh, I'm going to the Hunger Games.  I wonder what the arena is going to be this year.  We just went into a tunnel.  That means we're in The Capitol.  Wait . . . Ok . . .  In 3 . . . 2. . .1. . . WOW!!!  This place is huge!!  Oh yeah, now were in the Capitol.  It's huge!  The train's slowing down now.  I wonder what outfit I have to wear in the parade.

    Okay, Venus and I just got off the train and were headed to the styling room.  Time to see what we're wearing.  OOOHHH!!!!  It's so beautiful.  It's turquoise, with teal waves in it.  And it's sparkly.  It has a high waist and a nice, wavy skirt that goes a little past the knees.  I hope it has a fancy ability like Katniss' did.  I've heard hers was all fiery.