Chapter 15- Trouble on the Inside

"Are you sure it was a good idea to come over here?" Chaeryeong asks her sister when they arrive at one of the island's tourist spots.

"We lost all our supplies, Ryeong, and if you hadn't noticed, the girls eat a lot of food." Chaeyeon says with a laugh. The place looked relatively normal with sightseers milling around the different stores lined across the boulevard. After scanning past the shopping and souvenir shops, they finally spot a convenience store. The older sister was about to zip on over, but stopped when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Unnie, you gotta slow down a bit. You do remember that the police are out looking for a mutant who runs fast, right?" Chaeryeong reminds her.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry about that. It slipped my mind." Chaeyeon says feeling a bit embarrassed at being chided by her younger sister. Part of her felt a bit good though since she hadn't experienced hanging out with her consistently for a while. Despite being born a year apart, the two had always treated each other like best friends.

Eventually, they managed to sneak their way to the store which was filled with snacks and candies on the inside. The store clerk welcomed them cheerfully, but Chaeyeon hesitated, recalling the story the others told her about being arrested at one of these places.

"What's wrong?" Chaeryeong asks.

"Just...keep your guard up, sis." Chaeyeon whispers back as she continues to grab gummies and chips to put in their shopping basket.

To Chaeyeon's surprise, nothing went wrong at the store. They stocked their baskets with piles of food, and paid the cashier, who didn't seem to think anything was off. The two were just about to head back when something caught Chaeryeong's attention.

"Yah, unnie. Look over there." The younger siblings says before pointing over to a couple of armed guards that seemed to be patrolling the area. That normally wouldn't have been a big deal, but there was a familiar patch on their shirts.

"Yujeonja Tech Solutions..." Chaeyeon mutters.

"At least we know we're close. Should we alert the others?" Chaeryeong asks.

"Hmm, maybe go bring back the food alone first and let me scope it out on my own." Chaeyeon suggests.

"What? No way you're going near those guards by yourself." The younger argues back.

"It'll be fine. Besides, we still don't know if there's still some remnant of their technology left in you that they can reactivate." Chaeyeon replies, trying to think of any excuse instead of just admitting she didn't want her sister to be in a dangerous situation without backup.

"Okay, you win. Eunbi-unnie's going to kill me though for letting you pull off this stunt."

"Yeah, I'll handle it. The second I feel danger, I'll be back to you guys in a flash." Chaeyeon says with a laugh.

"Don't you get tired of that joke?" Chaeryeong asks sarcastically, remembering how Chaeyeon would always say that quip when they were younger.

"Just make sure to get the food to them and rest for a while. If I don't come back in 30 minutes, then you can come look for me." Chaeryeong gives one more worried look at her older sister before heading off.

~~~~

When she was sure Chaeryeong was out of sight, Chaeyeon locks her eyes on the two guards again who were wandering around. It seemed like they were just out on their lunch break because they stopped at a tteokbokki stand and bought some food which reminded Chaeyeon that she hadn't eaten yet either.

Damn, I should've asked Ryeong to leave me some jelly. She thinks to herself.

After a couple minutes of eating, the guards cleaned up and began to leave. Chaeyeon continues following from a safe distance while trying to not look too suspicious for passersby.