I'll Carry You if I Have To

•••

Robbie and Jonathan are the first ones to appear in the living room again. Jonathan points the bat toward the hole in the ceiling. Robbie switches the wrench between his hands nervously. Nancy peeks her tiny frame around the corner next, waving the gun in the places that Robbie and Jonathan aren't facing.

Steve mutters softly next to Ronda. "This is crazy. This is crazy. This is crazy." Steve shakes his head, hands tense at his sides. "This is crazy! This is crazy! This is crazy!"

Ronda tries to calm him down. Steve flinches, brown eyes wide with so many emotions. "What are you do...what are you doing? Are you insane?"

Nancy storms over in annoyance. The gun is heavy in her hand. "It's going to come back! So you need to leave." Nancy looks at him darkly. "Right now."

Ronda bites her lip, shaking her head at Nancy's shift in tone. Steve nods slightly, swallowing his pride. He scrambles out of the house. Ronda inhales softly, feeling lonely as she stands off to the side. She watches the other three circle the living room. The electricity traveling through the lights pulses loudly.

The flickering turns into a rapid speed of color dancing across their eyelids. Nancy's voice is high, "Where is it?"

"Come on. Come on, you son of a bitch," numbles Jonathan. He spins in a circle. "You see it?"

Robbie shakes his head. "No...Where...come on. Where are you? Come on!"

The lights go off, throwing them into darkness. The Demogorgon rises from the floor like a flower ready to bloom. It stares down at Jonathan, growling.

"Jonathan!" screams Ronda, pointing.
The monster pushes Jonathan to the floor, swiping the bat off of him. It gurgles, pinning him down. Spit slides onto Jonathan's face.

"Jonathan! Jonathan!" shouts Nancy.

Robbie takes a swing at the Demogorgon with the wrench. Nancy fires the gun. "Go to hell, you son of a bitch!"

The Demogorgon spreads its mouth open wide, showing off its rows of teeth to Nancy. She fires at the beast many times, but the bullets just sink in like nothing. Robbie yanks Jonathan out of the way as Nancy's gun clicks. She's out of bullets. The Demogorgon backs Nancy and Ronda into the kitchen.

Someone swings the bat down on the Demogorgon's arm. It whirls, roaring at Steve. Steve takes another swing as the Demogorgon tries to swipe at him.

"Steve!" shouts Ronda.

Steve hits the Demogorgon with ease, twirling the bat in his hands. He swings the bat into the monster's knee. He shouts in triumph as the Demogorgon cries out painfully. The monster steps back into the bear trap.

"He's in the trap!" Steve yells. "He's stuck."

"Jonathan, now!"

Jonathan flickers the lighter and throws it on the ground. The gasoline lights up, catching onto the Demogorgon. The monster screeches, burning up. The five teenagers watch with tense expressions. Jonathan reaches for the fire extinguisher.