Philosophia

Sophie Rielle's

Sixteen

According to an article that I've read before, The world is your oyster when you finally turned sixteen. At this age, your future is bright but shapeless, which means you have the opportunity to mold it into whatever image you'd like.

Ariel, the little mermaid, was sixteen when she finally learned how to explore the world around her. That was her age when she decided to pursue what she think was right and what she know that'll make her the happiest.

And now that I finally turned at the age that's same as her, I wonder if I can finally conquer what my heart truly desires and what I'm destined to encounter. I wonder if I can finally explore the truth that's hidden within the existence of the world around us.

"Mahal na prinsesa, gumising ka na!" I heard my brother shouted as he knocked multiple times on my bedroom's door. He knows that at this hour, I still don't have the energy to get up from my bed so as usual, after 5..4..3..2..1 second, he entered my room while his arms are leveled on his chest.

"Ano ba yan, kuya!" I shouted back and was about to tuck myself on my comforter when he immediately stopped me from doing so by pulling it back that made me sit down.

"Ang aga - aga, ang sungit mo." He complained and made his thick eyebrows meet.

"Ang aga - aga, ang pangit mo." I backfired, kaya kinuha nya ang unan na nasa may paanan ko at hinampas iyon sa mukha ko. Agad naman akong napasimangot at ginantihan din siya nang mas malakas pa.

Duh, I ain't Sophie Rielle if I don't have a comeback.

"Pasalamat ka, birthday mo, Sophie Rielle."

"Even if it's not my birthday, you're still ugly, kuya."

"Mom! Si Sophie oh, nang-aaway na naman!" There he goes again with his sumbongs. As if namang maririnig nila Mom ang sigaw nya.

"Kuya, ang ingay mo! Lumabas ka na kaya ng kwarto ko?" Napipikon nang sabi ko at binawi ang unan at comforter sa kanya. I was about to go lay down again but he already said something interesting that made me stopped and intrigued.

"Sungit, wag ko na lang kayang ibigay?" Nakangusong anya at masama ang tingin sa akin.

Mas matanda ba talaga to sa akin?

"Okay, I'm sorry! Pero you have something for me? Let's see what will it be, dali!" I excitedly said that made him chuckle in an instant. My eyes glowed like the morning sun when I saw a pretty white pen box with a black ribbon on his right hand. God knows how much I like these kind of stuffs so I got really excited.

The smell of books, the textures of new papers and notebooks, and the feeling of holding a new type of pen... seems heaven to me.

"I got that customized so take good care of that, Sof." He said as I open the box of a silver ball point pen that has my name "Sophie" written on its barrel. "Happy birthday, favorite enemy. Kuya loves you, hm?" He added that made me smile more and formed a big heart on my arms like McDonald's and mouthed "I heart you". He then just smiled at me and messed my hair up that's already messy the moment I woke up.

"Now, get up already, please. Piper and Elle will be already here in a few shakes of butt." —What?? Ba't di nya agad sinabi?! T-tsaka ano daw?

"Few shakes of butt? What does that even mean?" I asked with so much confusion. Is that another form of dance?

He then laughed with his hands on his stomach. Overreacting. He's enjoying my kabobohan. "Kawawa ka naman, di mo alam. It's "Konting kembot nalang" in tagalog. Ano ba yan, Sof." He told me, still giggling like some sort of an idiot. I rolled my eyes with his response.