Losing Control

Characters: Tesia and Orivine 

Content Contains: Gore, death, etc. 

This is a whole...lotta hurt. Might do a part two eventually but...it'll take a while. 

Someone still lived within the ruins of a long-forgotten cult. So, their information had been off. Thankfully, Tesia and Orivine were Tieflings, so unless any alarms were rung, they should have still been able to complete the mission.

Yet, when Elva refused to take another step into the old hamlet, the group had to split up. Now Tesia and Orivine had no way to know where the others had gone, and someone had noticed a flicker in the shadows.

"Ahh, a visitor. Come, come. My eyes can hardly make out your figure. Let Grandmother see you, young Orivine." The voice was worn and warbled, as unsettling as nails on a chalkboard and yet Orivine was compelled to obey. Tesia was no more powerful, and she, too, felt her body automatically obey the woman's demand.

Was Orivine trembling? Perhaps, but that could be said for her partner as well.

The woman said something strange, distorted in all the worst ways. A high-pitched whine assaulted their ears, and Tesia swore she could feel her mask start to crack.

When it all felt like death, when the smallest fibers of their very being felt ready to collapse, all the noise, pain, and sounds suddenly...ended.

In fact, everything had stopped. Orivine tried opening her mouth, but she couldn't. Every moment was slowed and warped, like she was underwater.

"Oh, you've been such a naughty grandchild," Grandmother crooned. How was her voice now soothing? Relaxing? "Slaughtering our clan for someone who abandoned you?"

What was Tesia's role? Why had this crone placed Tesia under this spell, if she had nothing to do with this place?

"And you, oh, you reject your wickedness, I know you do. You've been such a good girl, and who sees that? Nobody but your grandmother."

What...what was her goal? Grandmother's words sent shivers down Tesia's spine and weakened her knees. Sure, she hadn't always accepted the notion of being evil being a Tiefling entailed but...had anyone truly seen her efforts?

"Your Grandmother loves you, dearie. She's decided to give you a treat, a special reward for being so good."

No. Her mind screamed, ordered that she shake this spell and get out of this place, preferably leaving it in ashes. Elva was right; this place was not to be disturbed.

But her body was no longer in her control.

"Yes...this is such a lovely sickle. Your grandmother made it just for you, dearie."

The blade was sleek and sharp, the handle weighted perfectly and inlaid with diamonds.

Orivine's breath hitched. Something in her gaze set off more alarms. This wasn't just an ordinary weapon. No, this was something...sacred, to these monsters.

"Now, Orivine, how should naughty, naughty Tieflings be punished?"

"With the blood of a thousand sins purged from their souls, Grandmother."

Tesia closed her eyes, the only type of movement allowed for her. Just what was this woman planning?

"Very good. Now then, I trust you remember the proper position of a sacrifice? Or does grandmother have to do it for you?"

"No, Grandmother. I remember."

Stop this, please! Whatever is happening here, I don't want it! I'm not part of this cult and I'm not part of this sick plan! Please, stop!

Still, nothing Tesia thought could hold any weight when her tongue was silenced and her body no longer hers. Orivine laid herself on an altar, no longer speaking, no longer worried. How was she so calm?

"You must purge her blood. Go ahead, dearie. Be a good girl for your grandmother."

She couldn't disobey. No, let me go, please, I can't. She's my friend, she's our friend, I can't kill her. Please, I'll do whatever you want just not this. Please, I can't-

Was the grandmother laughing at her? Was Orivine laughing at her fate?

The sickle's path was determined long before Tesia fully understood. In the stomach-where there was less bone to contend with. Each motion of the blade orchestrated a jolt from Orivine, who didn't make a sound and a squelching sound that left more than just a bad taste.

When the blade left, most of Orivine's stomach was cut open, and some entrails hung off the blade. What have I...no...I didn't want this! Help me! Please! Somebody, anybody!

She wanted to cry or scream, but the only thing she could do was plunge her weapon into Orivine's body. No, this was not survivable. No, she was not going to come back. Neither of them was.

When Grandmother finally gave Tesia control over at least a small portion of her body, she dropped to her knees and lost dinner. The sight of her friend, torn and bloodied beyond all recognition, was enough to send her hurling once more.

It was...oddly suspicious when she heard nothing from the cultist. Had she vanished?

No, but her mind was clearer. The smell of smoke and taste of ash were starting to replace anything else now, and she couldn't see very well with the room bathed in a searing orange glow.

She didn't know anything at all when something hit her just right, leaving her with blessed darkness.