𝗙𝗜𝗩𝗘

"You'll never know how truly damaged a person is until you try to love them"
-Unknown-

"You'll never know how truly damaged a person is until you try to love them"-Unknown-

"Hey, someone's tired" Derek greets before he opens the glass door for Maya. "Yeah, a call at 2am isn't a good wakeup call" Maya states before she smiles at Derek before continuing to walk ahead of him. Derek clears his throat awkwardly and walks through the glass doors before finally catching up with Maya who was already in the conference room. He took a seat next to her and Garcia began explaining the recent case.

"Okay! A few hours ago, a lone gunman shot and killed 3 people inside a downtown Chicago diner" Garcia informs stating that the lone gunman was later killed by an off-duty cop wearing plain clothes.

"Sounds like they got their guy. Why are they requesting us?" Derek wonders when Garcia answers that an ATM across the street from the diner captured an imagine of the shooter getting out of a late-model Sedan moments before the shooting.

"So, a partner" Maya declares as Garcia pulls up the photos on the screen. Turns out, the shooter was a 16-year-old who'd been missing for four years.

"So where has this kid been all this time and where did he meet his partner?" Maya wonders before Alex wonders if they have been able to ID the driver which is negative.

"We can't rule out the possibly that the driver is the person responsible for Gavin's disappearance" Hotch states and Derek sighs, "And if that's the case, chances are he's out looking for his next victim" Derek states and Maya shakes her head in disbelief.

"How does a 12-year-old runaway turn into a cold-blooded killer?" Rossi wonders as he looks around at the team who has no answer to that question.

_____

On the plane, they circle around the idea that the crime could be gang related. "I mean, Chicago has one of the largest gang populations, with over 100,000 active members" Reid informs, confirming it could be a possibility.

"Makes sense. The kid runs away from home and finds himself out on the street. Then some knucklehead gangbangers come along, recruit him, and promise him protection" Derek suggests a possible scenario.

"Well- I don't think gang members go around shooting innocent people just because they can. And besides, Gavin didn't have a prime target in that diner" Maya states and Derek shrugs his shoulders, understanding her logic before looking back down at the crime scene photos with curiosity.

_____

Maya, Reid and Derek visit the morgue, and find out that Gavin was in weirdly good health, like he'd been well-taken-care-of, and he does have mysterious burns on his temples, like he'd been given electro-shock treatments.

Reid then notices that Gavin's arms had been twisted until they'd broken around six months earlier.

After they visited the morgue, Reid walks to the car while Maya and Derek slowly walk behind him. "Hey, are you- are we okay?" Derek asks and Maya stops in her tracks as he knits her eyebrows in confusion, looking over to Derek who looks genuinely concerned.