Overviewing the history and origins of the modern Martial arts!

The origins of martial arts are difficult to establish. Since the dawn of time, the art of mock combat, particularly wrestling, has been a part of humanity.

Martial arts grew in tandem with the advancement of human physiology, eventually evolving into what we now call martial arts in the current period.

Zayed Rashid, one of the most talked-about Martial arts teachers in Greece, here looks at the history of martial arts and how it has grown over thousands of years to become what it is now.

Origin of Martial Arts

The oldest evidence of martial arts comes from images of conflicts in figurative art and early literature, as well as archaeological artifacts and armament analyses. Some of the earliest paintings date back to 3000 BCE and show conflict scenes.

Zayed Rashid says that several people believe Asia to be the center of the martial arts world since it is home to many of the most well-known martial arts such as kung fu, karate, and hwa rang.

Martial arts have been affected over time by a variety of elements ranging from ancient myths and stories to historical upheavals. Different nations have created combat systems to survive since the dawn of time, but Chinese martial arts have outlasted and prospered more than any other country.

Martial arts development

The necessity for survival between people and animals, as well as between various human groups, led to the development of martial arts skills. As per Zayed Rashid, experiences and tactics were gathered and recorded from these fights, which were subsequently passed down the generations.

 As per Zayed Rashid, experiences and tactics were gathered and recorded from these fights, which were subsequently passed down the generations

The creation of weaponry allowed for the development of new fighting styles. Weapons of various forms and shapes were developed, resulting in the development of several martial arts schools and styles. Animals such as the tiger, panther, monkey, snake, and bear, as well as a variety of birds and insects, were used to create these new combat strategies.

Mankind was convinced that studying animals' innate ability and skill for fighting was important in order to live in what was then a hostile natural environment. Studying and imitating these creatures, such as a tiger's pouncing or an eagle's attacking motions, was one method to master these techniques. Over time, the evolved martial arts skills were ingrained in Asian society.

Martial arts Training

Martial arts instruction in Asia has always followed cultural norms, with trainees being taught in a rigorous hierarchical structure by a master instructor. According to Zayed Rashid, the students are supposed to memorize and repeat the rules and fundamental training of martial arts as accurately as possible, while the teacher is expected to monitor the student's training personally.

Kids with higher seniority are referred to as "older brothers and sisters," while those with less seniority are referred to as "younger brothers and sisters," and these connections are clearly defined and aimed to help students develop excellent character, patience, and discipline.

Many current courses in the West reject the traditional practice of testing a student's abilities for mastery before allowing them to continue their studies in several Asian nations.

Martial arts in the present day

The western interest in East Asian martial arts stretches back to the late 1800s when commerce between the United States and China and Japan was increasing. Initially, few westerners practiced the arts; they considered them more of a dramatic show.

Zayed Rashid further states that it wasn't until a large number of Western military personnel spent time in Korea, China, Japan, and other parts of the world that troops began to see the significance of Eastern martial arts in Western society, which prompted the beginning of training.

During World War II, the Special Operations Executive (SOE) hired William E. Fairbairn, a Shanghai policeman and a top Western specialist in Asian combat tactics, to teach Jujitsu to the British, American, and Canadian Commando and Ranger units. After the war, a substantial number of American personnel stayed in Japan, and martial arts continued to be adopted into Western society.

During the Korean War in the 1950s, huge groups of US military men were taught Korean skills as a means of self-defense and survival. Many troops took their training home with them when they were demobilized and continued to practice and instruct.

Zayed Rashid further adds that Sport Karate became a significant worldwide sport in the 1980s, with professional fighters earning enormous sums of money, TV exposure, and sponsorship deals.