Prologue

Hey, there!

Thank you for choosing to read this book!

This is a little deeper than my other works (that are all available on my profile), yet it's just as beautiful,

So give it a go and don't forget to tell me what you think!

*****

Lillian:

I take a deep breath, let the fresh air consume my lungs and look up at the beautiful sky.

The sun seems brighter today.

"I'm so excited, Mama!" I can't help but bounce a little on my feet, ignoring the looks I receive from other students, as I take in the huge building in front of me.

"Me too." She mumbles grumpily as she pulls my suitcase out of the trunk, and I gasp.

"You are?" Surprise is evident on my face as I ask her, my heart beating faster at the possibility that she might be excited for me to start a new chapter of my life.

"Yes." She sets the suitcase on the floor with a thud before shutting the trunk a little harshly. Her emerald green eyes find mine, and I instantly frown at how angry they are, even if I'm already used to them. "I'm excited that I finally won't have to wake up and see you every morning. Now, I can finally move on with my life without having you as a reminder of everything that's wrong in the world."

I swallow the sting of her words and pout, my hand nervously traveling to the necklace around my neck for support. "You don't mean that, Mama."

"But I do." She nods sternly, her aubrun hair that I've inherited moving against her shoulders. "I dropped you off like you begged me to, and now I'm fucking done, you hear me? Don't call me unless you're dying."

I swallow again and silently nod. It's my fault for expecting anything different anyway. "Thank you."

I watch her as she glares at me again before walking to the driver's side of the car. She gets in and takes a deep breath, probably because she wants to calm down, possibly because she's relieved she won't have to deal with me anymore.

"I'll miss you, Mama. And I'm sorry. For everything." I quietly give her my goodbye, and I know she hears me because her body stiffens and her hands grip onto the steering wheel tightly, before she turns her head and looks at me with a scowl.

Her voice is cold and deadly as she speaks, nothing like the mother whose love and affection I spent years with. "Go ahead and live a life you don't deserve. I don't fucking care as long as you're out of mine."

I bite my bottom lip to stop it from trembling anymore as I watch her focus on the road ahead and drive off. I stay still, watching the familiar car disappear, and I wonder if I'll ever see Mama again. I know she doesn't want to see me anymore. I know I can't really blame her. But I also know that I will miss her, because she's all I have left. I wonder if this means I've lost the only family member I have.

"You must be Lillian Grant!" A loud, enthusiastic voice shouts suddenly from beside me, and I jump as I turn around to face its source. A beautiful girl with shiny black hair stands with a big smile on her face as she looks at me with amusement in her eyes.

"Oh, you startled me." I confess, my hand patting my chest in a soothing manner as I try to hide my embarrassment. This is the first person I meet here, and I just made myself look like a jumpy toddler. "Yes, that's me."

"Welcome to your new home!" Her loud voice is even higher when she points at the building in front of us, and I feel my excitement starting to match hers. "I'm Natalie, a senior, and I also volunteer as a student guide, so I'm here to give you your key and walk you to your dormroom."