His Wishes

He took another shuddering breath, wincing as droplets of crimson rolled out of his lips once more. It was painful, yes, but it didn't bother him. Not anymore. At least, not as much as her absence did. Staring at the dimly lit ceiling, drowning out the clock striking 3 am and the lifeless beeping of the machines, he recalled a fond memory from many moons ago.

"Look!" she exclaimed happily, eyes filled with wonder, finger pointed to the heavens.

"The first shooting star! C'mon, let's make a wish together!" she closed her eyes, clasping her hands together.

"Wish..." he thought to himself. "I wish we had more time. I wish I could stay with you longer. I wish that..." his thoughts trailed off. What was the point of wishing? The dozens of pill bottles lying scattered on his nightstand didn't allow it. The white hospital bed sheets dotted with red refused his wishes. The neverending ache in his lungs reminded him of what he could never love.

He doesn't regret not telling her of his illness. It made their final moments together seem normal, as if it wasn't a last goodbye, and she would see him again the next day. But she didn't. Nor the weeks after that. Lying weakly in the hospital, he barely had the strength to stay awake, much less venture out into her loving arms. 

"I wish that she will find endless happiness and bliss even after I leave. I wish that she will forget about me one day. I wish that she will have everything she desires in life and more."

The shooting star was long gone, but he continued his wishes.

Excruciating pain brought him back to the present. He gasped, rolling over onto his side, fingers clawing at his throat as he gasped for air. The stuffy hospital air filled with the scent of medicine and death wasn't enough. He wanted the air of that night, when the stars rained down around them.

Staggering to the window, he threw his body against it, pushing with all his might just to have a chance of getting fresh air into his heaving lungs.

Beep beep beepbeepbeepbeepbeebeebeeeee

beep.

Silence.

On that starless night, he made one last wish.

"I wish I told her I love her."

And as he faded away, his last thought was of her staring at the stars while he stared at her, knowing that she would be the brightest star he ever saw.