Healing

It’s Friday night. I’m sitting in bed wrestling my pillow to try to get conferrable to sleep. School was way too stressful today. I had three tests today and man, do I feel like I flunked them. It’s around eleven now and my parents are passed out in the other room. I just couldn’t sleep. And was it pissing me off.

After a while, I got bored and sat up. Maybe I just needed a midnight walk to get me sleepy or something. Maybe clear out my mind of the stressful day I’ve been having. I hopped off my bed and grabbed some clothes and my shoes to go on my walk. I threw on a black jacket with some ripped jeans. It wasn’t freezing cold outside yet, so I didn’t really need a hoodie or anything. So my jacket was open. I threw on my shoes and quickly, but quietly, snuck out of my room and towards the front door. My room is next to the front door, so it was easy for me to sneak out. After I made it outside, I closed the door behind me and walked down the driveway to get onto the sidewalk.

I sneak out a lot. Sometimes to hang out with friends or to go to parties. But usually I do it to just be alone. I go out to this park nearby to just walk the trails and talk to myself about things. So I started my walk over there. There’s this bench kinda hidden away from the park that I love to sit by just to think about things, so that was my shot. Of course though, it was a long walk.

After a while, I arrived at the park. Some dim street lights shined on the trails to light the path for people, so I followed them to make it to my bench spot. I could only hear the quiet chirps of birds but loud clicks from crickets as I walked through the trails. Even my footsteps almost sounded silent. There was a soft breeze through the wind that gave off a slight chill but was lovely enough to balance the beautiful weather tonight.

I spotted my bench spot now and made my way over towards it. But something caught my eye. There was someone sitting there. I couldn’t tell exactly who it was, but they seemed sad. I felt my heart grow sad after I saw that. By seeing the person and that my bench was taken. The pathway leads past that bench, so I started my walk again. I didn’t look towards the person nor try to acknowledge that they were there at all as I tried to walk past them. The bench was pretty far away from the trail and the side was faced from me so the person couldn’t really see me. But as I almost walked right past the person, my curiosity made me look up at them to see who it was. And something about them made my heart jump.

It was a kid from my highschool. Some Non-binary kid people poke around. My friends mentioned them a lot and talked about how weird and lonely they are. I didn’t think they were weird. In fact, I think they looked cute. But, I don’t really know the guy, so it’s whatever. Hopefully, people didn’t view them as a weirdo because their Non-binary. That’d be stupid. I had a clearer view of the kid’s face now and I could see that they was crying. Poor guy. They was wearing some jeans with a hoodie on and They had something in his hands and whatever they had was making them cry. That really hurt me. Like I felt my heart get stabbed. Just seeing them sad, my heart told me I had to do something. I couldn’t just walk by knowing I could do something to help. But it’s none of my business. I was about to start my walk again but stopped myself. My heart pulled me to try and go over there to talk to them. It wanted me too. I took a deep breath and finally walked over there. 

I quietly stepped through the grass as I walked over towards the kid. As I got closer, I could here the kids quiet sobs clearer now. They still didnt notice me. So I finally got close enough to say something.

“Hello?” I asked them. The kid jumped and hid whatever they had under their legs. They looked around in fear until they spotted me. They looked so scared and worried. Like I just made them panic. But after they saw me, they calmed down. 

“H-Hi.” They greeted me, quickly turning away and whipping their eyes.

“I um… I saw you crying and wanted to check in to see if everything was ok.” I told them as I now walked in front of them.