Chapter One

I yawned. As the sunday morning mass drew to a close, I stood up and neatened my dress. I just had to find my parents now, then I could leave.

Spotted: near the back of the church. My parents were engrossed in conversation with Mr and Mrs Smith near the front of the church. Mr and Mrs Smith had moved here a couple of months ago, and were still treated with the well-meaning caution and distant politeness that was warranted by moving into a small town. Their daughter stood by them, not quite included in the conversation but near enough to be noticed.

I walked towards them, hoping not to be dragged into their conversation. I wasn't a particularly religious person and Father Ellis was constantly trying to convince me to join the church youth club. I had heard that the youth club was like any other youth club, with indoor activities and sugary drinks flowing but the idea of spending two hours a week with the overly law abiding teenagers made me feel nauseous.

"My daughter," my mum said, pausing to clench a hand over my arm and dragging me between herself and Dad, "is the opposite!" She laughed. "Annabeth gets rather lonely sometimes while she's out there getting those levels."

"Mum!"

"Well, why doesn't Lara help her out? She's so popular already, she could help Annabeth get more social. You must remember being a teenager, they need all the help they can get." I noticed the look of mild horror on Lara's face as she turned to face us. She tapped on her mother's shoulder but Mrs Smith brushed her hand aside as the plans to get me more friends via Lara grew at an alarming pace.

"Mum-I've actually joined the chess club-"

"Great, great. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow then Lara." And that's how I got stuck on a playdate with the school slut.