By Dawn

The one thing about farming that always bothered me was the dirt under my nails. It was “un-ladylike” to clean them out in public so I would have to tough it out until supper. I sit down at the kitchen table on Saturday morning letting the sunshine spill in through the bay windown by the kitchen table  kiss my face. Mamma places a large plate of biscuits next to the eggs and bacon.

“Eat up.” Mamma says, sitting at the end of the table. Dad folds his newspaper in half and reads the last few articles on the back of the paper.

“Frank, did you hear about the new neighbors?” Mamma asks dad as she mixes milk and sugar into her coffee.

“New neighbors?” Dad asks blankly, as if he doesn’t care.

“Yes they are arriving today, I think we should go give them one of my famous welcome pies.”

I glance over at Daisy to see her face light up. She smiles, and he eyes widen. Mamma smiles back at her.

“I love welcome pies!” She squeals, spreading her biscuit with shortening.

Mamma ignores Daisy’s comment, and pats the curlers in her hair.

“Alright finish up your breakfast kids, we have lots of work to do today.” Mamma proclaims, getting up, and walking to the refrigerator. Petunia and I both knew that because she was making a welcome pie we would have more work to do.  I get up from the table and begin to clear the table. Dad gets up, and starts for the back door. Johnny follows behind him quickly. Daisy shoves the biscuit in her mouth and chews obnoxiously. I laugh a bit at her rude chewing noises. Petunia grabs a rag from the sink and wipes up all the crumbs and crud on the wooden table.

“Daisy, get up and go clean your room.” Mother demands, making the piecrust. Daisy gets up from her seat, and skips up the stairs.  Petunia begins washing the dishes from breakfast. I felt out of place, like everyone had something to do but me. Mother notices my struggle and then ponders for a moment.

“Why don’t you go pick some berries for my welcome pie?”

Sure it was something to do, but I didn't really want to do it. I decided that it would be better then standing around watching everyone. 

“Yes ma’am.” I reply, stepping out of the back door in to the mudroom to get my boots. I lace up my work boots and head out into the early day. The sun caresses my cheeks causing them to burn a pink color. The sound of the trees swaying in the breeze is relaxing, and makes me want to do more work. I snatch a bucket from the shed and head out for the bushes with berries. Picking the berries reminds me of past summers where all I did was work on harvesting the crops. I didn’t get out much at all. My only true friend was Tina, who moved away last summer. Now someone new was moving in to her house. It would be weird going to see our new neighbors in Tina’s house. Knowing the whole plan might creep them out. I sigh loudly, and glance over at Tina’s house. She promised me she would write me about her new town. I have yet to recieve a letter. When I take a closer look inside the house, I see lots of commotion, mainly furniture being moved along with boxes. I was interested in seeing what the neighbors were like. If they were the kind of people that we will see once but never talk to, or maybe become good family friends. I hear the creek of a screen door so I act as if I wasn’t paying attention to them.

“You should go out into town, see if you can make some friends.” The women states, throwing her hands in the air as if she’s given up.

“I’d rather just stay here. Besides everyone here seems like d,” The guy starts, but his mother cuts him off.

“SHH!” She hisses, searching around. I assumed she has spotted me. I continue picking the berries trying to act natural.

“Hello!” She shouts in my direction. I get up from my knees, and wipe the dirt from my hands on to my jeans.

“Oh! Hi, uh… Welcome!” I try. I’m terrible at socializing.

“I’m Mary and this is Trip. We just moved in next door.”

“Oh how nice. I’m Dawn. Are you enjoying the neighborhood?” I felt weird, usually no one but my direct family saw me in my farming clothes. Suddenly, I feel relieved when I feel my mother settle her hand on my shoulder.

“Yes, it is very nice!” Mary responds, putting her hand on Trip’s shoulder.  He’s been quiet this entire time.

“Pleasure to meet you! I’m Karen.” My mom shouts loudly.

“Mary, pleased to meet you.”

“Why don’t y’all come on over for dinner tonight? I’m baking up a nice welcome pie.”

Mary looks at Trip then at my mother.

“Thank you, we wouldn’t miss it!”

“Well, it was nice meeting you!” Mary shouts. She nudges Trip, who jumps a little, but waves to me. I laugh a little and wave back to him.

“You too, I’ll see you around!” My mom shouts back to Mary we both slowly go up the stairs to the screen door. Mamma turns to me with her eyebrows raised.

“Is she a nut job or,”

“She seems nice.”