Always and Forever

A single solitary tear fell on the photograph, marring the gleaming surface. Gently tracing the outline of the couple that seemed to radiate with love, my finger lingered on the boy. Wind tousled hair curled around his ears, highlighting his beautiful face. A weak smile graced my lips as I looked at the tiny box he carried in one hand, his arm outstretched towards the girl. Inside laid a diamond encrusted ring with the words, Always and Forever, carved in the inside. He had planned to present it to the girl on their five year anniversary, asking for her hand in marriage. He didn’t care that they were young, and that their families may not approve or understand. All he cared about was his irrevocable love for her, and how he didn’t want to spend a second of his life without her by his side.

            I closed my eyes, and envisioned how he would wrap his strong arms around me, as if that simple act alone could protect and comfort me. A single touch or endearment would send liquid fire coursing within my veins, igniting my body until I was left gasping for air. I missed the way he tenderly whispered my name as if that was the only thing that made him content. I missed his gentle eyes that fogged over with desire when he kissed me. I yearned for the way his silky auburn hair slid across my fingers as I gently stroked his soft curls.

            Rubbing my nose raw with a torn Kleenex, I tried to alleviate the pain that I was feeling inside. Matted oily clumps of hair hung heavy on my head, and I impatiently brushed it aside, tucking it behind my softly curved ear. Goosebumps slowly rose from my slim arms as I lay there on the floor, huddling in his ratty old Brown University sweatshirt. My thick eyelashes cast long shadows as I lowered my eyes, accentuating the hollows of my cheeks. I relished in the warmth that the sweater provided, before gently lowering my head, a faint silhouette of a smile flickered across my cracked lips. My eyelids fluttered shut, and I slowly inhaled the musky aroma. Crushed mint leaves infused with vanilla wafted up, reminding me of the times we’ve spent together underneath the stars, laughing and exchanging sweet words. The smooth cotton fibres lightly caressed my pale porcelain face, almost as if was trying to console me. A light sheen of sweat covered my face as my breathing grew shallow. A whimper of misery escaped my open lips as I recalled our first night alone together.

            Pulling my knees up, I desperately hugged myself, as if that would protect me from the grief that I was feeling. Harsh reality came crashing down upon me when I opened my eyes, and I knew that I couldn’t trick myself into believing that he was here with me. I was left alone in the world. I felt hollow because without him here, I didn’t feel complete.

            I couldn’t fill the empty void that he left in my chipped and battered heart. He swore to me that he would love me and be with me forever, he promised… Each memory brought pangs of agony through me. A scream tore free from my throat, and I choked on my tears as they fell. Broken promises shimmered in the air before me, revealing things that would never be. What should have been the most memorable day of my life, turned out to be my living nightmare, one that I couldn’t escape.

            My voice trembled when I whispered out his name, Ethan. It was a single word that brought me happiness a few weeks ago, but now all it brought is endless despair and unwelcomed memories. New tears spilled down my cheeks as I choked out his name, but I couldn’t bring myself to stop. Ethan, Ethan, Ethan. It grew with intensity until all I could hear was his name. I gasped, choking on air as memories slipped through my tightly clenched mind, reminding me of that horrendous day when my beloved Ethan, left me.

            Cool grey eyes flecked with gold shone with unconcealed excitement as Ethan gazed at me; a small smile tugged the corners of his lush lips. Warm minty breath gently fanned my face as he flashed me a grin, enhancing his laugh lines. Suddenly, strong arms encircled me and I squealed as I was lifted high up into the air. Locks of ebony hair that was once elaborately curled created a curtain around my face as Ethan spun me around, his husky laugh vibrated throughout his muscular frame. Giggling, I screamed for him to stop, softly slapping his back in the process. With a sigh, he let me down, and I jumped when his smooth hands tenderly brushed away my hair. Ethan told me that I was the most beautiful women that he’s ever met. My breathing faltered when he placed a light kiss upon my awaiting lips, murmuring his love for me as he placed kisses along my brow, before lightly ghosting his way down my jaw. Suddenly, he pulled away, and I opened my cerulean blue eyes, confusion replacing the giddy high I was experiencing before. He hoarsely whispered my name before dropping to his knees; a determined but anxious expression was fixed on his handsome face. My eyes widened in disbelief, tears threatening to flow down my face.