Graduation Day

(First Person Point of View:)

The time: 6:31 AM.

It's June 4th. I would have long awaited this day when I first started my Freshman year, but the feeling had long passed.
Sliding out of bed, I put my bare feet on the soft carpet floor of my room. The chatter, and gentle clang of silverware, sounds from the kitchen. Mom's already awake and having breakfast.

But me? I can't go out just yet without my clothes. Heaving in a sigh, I rise up to my feet and quietly take steps to my drawer across from the bed. The clothes don't matter to me. They'll all be covered by the dumb gown. I tug out a (favorite/color) shirt, a sports bra, (second/favorite/color) socks, a pair of shorts printed with my high school logo on it, and a pair of underwear, before tossing them all on my bed.

Within a few minutes, I grumble and take one step outside my doorway, but stop midway as my mother's voice rings out from the kitchen. "(Dead/Name)! Why are you wearing all those clothes? You should have your gown on for the sake of your graduation."
Gently I roll my eyes and call back to her. "Nobody will see my clothes under my gown! It's fine!"
I look relieved as she doesn't answer back.

Slowly reaching my hand into my nearly empty backpack, I pull out my blue gown. "This... will be complicated." I take out my graduating cap as well, that's decorated with the (sexuality/name) flag. The school allowed me to customize my cap with anything, so I tried my best with my creativity limits.
My mom had already known about my sexuality. She had no problem with it, especially when I came out to her about it when I first turned 18. I close my eyes.
"You don't have to love someone. You can live alone if you want. You'll always be my girl."

Flinching as if under pressure, I open my eyes again. It's like I relived the moment I told her. But a new feeling of sadness flowed through me. 𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘮𝘦. 𝘐'𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘢 𝘨𝘪𝘳𝘭. 𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘺𝘦𝘵. 𝘐 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘐'𝘮 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘺 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘰 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸.

I put the blue gown and my cap on. I walk out into the kitchen, face looking down to the floor to avoid eye contact.
"(D/N)? Why is your gown blue? The guys wear blue gowns, the girls wear white gowns."
I look up at her. "They ran out of white gowns," I lie to her, keeping my voice clear and sincere.
"Well that sucks. But as long as you have a gown."
I give her a reassuring smile.
"Let's go get you that certificate, or whatever it's called."

Time passes by as we pull up at the school stadium. I step out of the car alongside my mother.
"I'm so proud of you."
I swallow a sudden lump in my chest. 𝘐 𝘸𝘪𝘴𝘩 𝘐 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘮𝘺𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘧, 𝘵𝘰𝘰.
"Th-thank you" The words hardly come out correctly.

The stadium football field is filled with graduate seats, the podium, and the bleachers for the parents and families. I look back to my mom, who pulls out her camera from her blue purse, and holds it upright near me. "Face the camera and say cheese!"
I try to give a convincining smile while holding my cap towards the camera to show my full potential. I don't truly feel confident.

𝘊𝘭𝘪𝘤𝘬.
It's over. I have to go. I give a quick wave of farewell to my mother and rush to my graduate seat with my classmates.
I try to keep my eyes off her and look through the class crowd. I spot my best friend Jay sitting four rows away from me. He smiles and waves from where he is.
At least someone is there to support me when I'm at my worst.

I heave in a deep breath as the principal makes his way to the podium.
"Good morning, class of 2022. Thank you all for coming..."
His voice seems like it trails off as I slip into my own world. Plus, who wants to sit there for hours listening to his speech?
All my head has inside is the song "People I Don't Like" by UPSAHL as I turn my head towards the bleachers. Families stack the rows one by one. How embarrassing, to be exposed to every adult when you have to go on stage in front of them all...

I lower my head down and zone back in.
"...now I present to you, the graduates of the class of 2022!"
The clearing gets loud with the sudden cheers and aggressive clapping sounds of the audience, and some of the graduates themselves. The noise is overwhelming.
𝘑𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘮𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘯𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘺.

The time flies faster as the graduates go up across the front of the podium to collect their things, and cross to the other side.
Jay goes up. My hands slowly lift into the air as I start to clap hard and scream his name with happiness. "Jay!"
I feel my hands start to go numb from the clapping as I move behind the rest of the graduate line. My spot is next after 4 other kids.

I temporarily zone out once more, only to get kicked by one of the kids behind me to move forth. This cycle repeats until it's my turn to go up.
This is my final moment. I'm not even ready for it. I nervously turn my head to search for my mother through the crowd. All my senses nearly seem to fade away as my head clogs with thoughts.

Is it really worth it, after all this time? I wasn't born correctly like the other kids. I lived a good life, had a sweet supporting family, but I expected them to change soon once I told them who I really am. I was never bullied in my life. I was nearly perfect in my family's eyes. But I knew what was wrong with me from the very start.

I take in one last breath and regain my senses, finally stepping up on the podium. The principal hands over my certificate and gives me a hug. I hear cheering and clapping and I pull back and make my way down the steps. I try not to look at my mother.
I could only wish I had stayed home today.

I slowly make my way back to my chair with my stuff, and stop in the middle of my tracks. I couldn't sit down. There was a fucking doll in my chair. What kind of sick person would play a joke like this on me and put a doll in my chair? I wasn't even a doll person.
I gently pick it up and place it on the somehow empty seat next to me. It's a Good Guy doll.

Time has already passed and I search the crowd for my mother. She stares directly at me with a wide smile. I try to find the courage to smile back, but I just can't. I feel a cold touch on my leg.
The doll's hand is somehow on my leg, still lifeless. My mother wasn't even facing me when I finished looking at her. She can't even see it for how short it is.
So, who cares? I can just shrug it off like the normal person was. Whoever was playing a prank really was doing it well. But why should I give a shit? I was never the fighting type. If I ever had been bullied, I would ignore it regardless. So let them hate on me! It doesn't matter.

The crowd and everyone goes away which leaves me space to approach my mother so she can take me home. It's been hours already. I walk towards her and hug her.
"Thank you for being there for me."
She smiles and nods, giving me a big hug. I lean my head on her shoulder from the hug, and at the corner of my eye I see the doll once more, but it's on the first bleacher row.
Huffing, I ignore it casually.

Sighing, me and my mom eventually finish the hug. "Are we ready to go?"
I nod casually.
She begins to walk to the truck. But before I follow her, I look at the doll.
"I guess I could just..." I trail off and shrug. I didn't know what do do with the damn thing, so I just picked it up and brought it with me to the truck.
My mom looks back at me, but doesn't question. "New bed buddy pal? That's cool with me."

It's finally over, and I can sleep in peace. But now the next few things ahead of me is college, and coming out... but I don't even know if I can do it.

My mother drives us both home. Reluctantly, I slip out of the vehicle in the driveway and bring the doll with me, holding it by its arm. I rushed into the house before my mother could get in, and I run into my room, lightly closing the door. I throw off my gown, cap, and keep my clothes on. I put the two away and then place down the doll on my bed.
My body starts to feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

"It's over.. but at what cost?" I shuffle my hands together and sit down right next to the doll.

"You know, I felt bad for 'ya back there." A deep voice adds.

I nod slightly and breathe in. But then I realized. I suddenly widened my eyes and quickly breathed out, accidentally spitting at my wall. My head turns over instinctively to the doll, and I fall backwards off the bed. It wasn't... it couldn't... it's-

alive?

━━━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━━━

(A/N) - i'm sorry that i keep reusing some words, i'm not always too good at writing stories, but i normally gain motivation from reading books irl! forgive me for anything weird or off in the story, i hope you enjoy the upcoming chapters! ^^ -Elliot