Ghost Brother

The screams filled my ears. I couldn't stand it, so I hid in my closet and covered my ears. Tears streamed down my face. Somehow, I could still hear the shouting match happening downstairs between my parents. I just wanted it to stop! Why wouldn't it stop?

The door to my closet opened and my big brother sat down next to me, shutting the door after him. He pulled me into his arms and held me close. He stroked my hair and told me everything would be okay. I listened to his gentle whispers and tried so hard to believe them. Right now everything just seemed so dark. I wanted the darkness to go away, but I couldn't find any light to hold onto for hope.

"Amanda, you know that I love you right?" Jason told me softly, "I'm always here for you. All you have to do is ask."

"Thank you, Jason. I love you, too." I snuggled closer into his warm embrace.

"You'll always be my favorite!" he told me, hugging me tighter. I sighed wishing it could stay like this forever.

After an hour or two, I noticed that the shouts had subsided. I knew that Jason was long gone by now. I stood up and walked out into my room. I went to my parents bedroom and found my mom lying on the bed. I sat down beside her and rested my chin on her shoulder.

"Mommy, I love you!"

I heard my mom sniffle. She then turned around and pulled me into a hug. "I love you too, sweetheart. I'm sorry that your father and I argue so much. It's just been so hard since the accident."

I looked past my mom at the photo of my brother on her nightstand. I sighed and put my head on her neck, "I miss him."

"I know, sweetie, I do too. Your brother's death was hard on us all."

THE END