The begenning

"Kayla!"

I screamed at the top of my lungs desperately as I attempted to catch my 6 year old cousin. She was running, jumping, and hopping around wildly, her energy greatly boosted by the mountain of candy she just finished eating before proceeding to concede with her hyperactive jump-fest. The wooden floorboards of the new house creaked with every step both of us took.

I was panting heavily, grudgingly wishing that her sugar rush would die down soon. "Kayla!" I screamed, an idea suddenly illuminating my dark, fatigued mind. Bribery. As I proceeded to scream again, a sly smile found its way to my lips. "If you stop, I'll take you on a tour of the house!" I screamed, stopping to catch my breath. The frantic footsteps of my easily bribed cousin died down, and when I looked up once more, she stood there obediently before me, femininely smoothing out her cherry red frock.

"Right." Well,I achieved the goal of my first mission- getting her to stop. Now, I owed her a tour of the house. I myself hadn't bothered sightseeing that much, so I have to make sure Kayla only notices the spots I had ventured to.

So I made sure to stick to the long hallways. Throughout the first floor, Kayla was silent, and obviously bored. But the real challenge was the second floor. I tried my best to show her all the rooms that were bathed in the bright, newly installed candescent microbe bulbs and my back faced the hidden white door right at the end of the hallway. That door creeped me out. And the fact that my room was right next to it wasn't all that comforting. At night, I wasn't sure if it were a figment of my imagination or not, but I seemed to noticed the weird sounds that came from behind the door. It sounded inhuman and unreal, and was the cause of my eyebags.

Unfortunately, Kayla's eyes were as hyper as herself. "Ooh, I wanna see that room!" She squealed. I braced myself as I tried to divert her attention, though I knew I was going to end up failing. So I tried using a drone- she had a short attention span, and right now the drone was my last resort. I slowly inserted my hand into my jean pocket, reaching for the silver remote. As I clutched it tightly, I harshly pressed the red command button, and heard the familiar whir of cranks as a drone detached itself from the wall and flew to us. But Kayla didn't budge. "I wanna see it!" She insisted, stomping her feet on the creaky, polished floor. I sighed, deactivated the drone, and took a deep breath.

In modern 2456, it was a rarity to fimd homes like the one my family and I took abode in. Most homes were futuristically themed, metal walls and abstract art. So of course when Kayla was allowed to visit, she was literally so happy that she broke around ten to twenty of her own helper drones. And so before my lovely parents left for their business trip, they told me to make sure Kayla didn't break any of our drones. But I had dramatically failed, for Kayla had already succesfully broken around eight to nine drones, including five of my own cleaning drones.

So with Kayla impatiently tugging on the hem of my sweatshirt, I edged forward with baby footsteps towards the withered white door. "Faster, faster!" , Kayla screeched into my ear like a banshee. I reached for the copper doorknob in slo-mo, gulping. I twisted it open and the hum of the active microde air cooler became silent. The microbe bulbs dimmed down, and the rhythimic breathing of Kayla and I were the only sounds that thrummed in my eardrums.

Before I could touch the doorknob, though, I heard the loud noise of the main door being slammed shut echo through the house. "Heya Winter!" I heard a male voice dominate the airspace. Dylan.

I grabbed Kayla's wrist firmly and descended using the stairs - something dad decided to keep. "You fricking scared me!" I shrieked, raising my hands frantically above my head in frustration. The blonde blue eyed boy standing in front of me just brushes it off casually my grinning cheekily and placing his hands into his pant pockets.

"Sorry Winter. Nice house, by the way." Dylan says, squeezing my shoulder. I snort unattractively and whip my hair. I click on my holo screen wristband and a menu pops up. I pick Ice cream, and a large variety of brands appear before my eyes, I click on my usual random Ben and Jerry's and order one for Dylan and Kayla as well.

That night as we all ate up the ice cream, I could feel an atmosphere lingering by my side all the time.

But I brushed it off.

I mean, there's no such things as ghosts.

Right?

A/n: so hey there! I hope you like the first chapter, updates are to come soon. With that, adios!