Happy Lies | 1

SKY ALMOST TRIPPED as he turned right to the bus terminal. He looked back for a hundredth time, wishing that he had successfully mislead the captor. "Still here," he smilingly murmured after he touched his crutch. Briefs with zippers come in handy, indeed.

After he got a bus ticket that he would pay later,  he went straight to the bus with a placard that read "LIPA | BATANGAS PORT | LUCENA". He hopped in the bus, checked for vacant seats, and smoothly bowed his head like a shy kid. Because he would love to have a two-seater chair all for himself, he sat at the back part where passengers usually didn't sit.

"Oh, shoot!" Sky slid down the chair. This time, it's a life-and-death moment for him. A mere window! That's the only thing that separated him from the captor. One wrong move and he would be real dead.

Someone's standing beside me. Sky's heart skipped a beat. He was torn whether or not to check who it was.

"Your ticket, Sir," said the man in white polo shirt.

Sky felt relieved. He picked the ticket from the pocket of his denim pants and showed it to the bus conductor.

"Batangas Port... Three hundred fifty pesos, Sir."

"Three hundred and fifty?" Sky watched the bus conductor nod as he thought of the best way to grab the money from his brief.

Sky noticed the bus conductor glanced to the big window. No! Sky thought You're making it obvious that someone's seated here! With his cold sweats emerging from his invisible pores, Sky watched the bus conductor's pantomime-like communication with someone down the window.

Finally, the bus conductor uttered a silent "Huh?", nodded endlessly, and then raised up his thumb.

"I'm dead..." Sky caroled softly, rolling his eyes as he sat up properly. Right then, he shamelessly unzipped his pants and the pocket of his brief.

"Seriously?" the bus conductor asked, puzzled. "That's your wallet, Sir?"

"Is that a problem, Mister?" Sky snapped.

Because the thick stack of money was too bulky, it was challenging for Sky to get a single bill without splashing all the cash up to the air.

"You need help?" the bus conductor offered teasingly.

Sky covered himself with his big backpack to avoid showing off the amount of money he had. "Just collect tickets, Mister" he answered, "and mind your own business." As he finished his sentence, he handed a crispy and fresh blue bill.

"One-thousand pesos?" the bus conductor said as he received it. "I'll get back to you later for the change."

Once the bus conductor left, a familiar woman appeared in front of Sky. Her lips and fingernails were red like roses. Although her makeup was a bit strong, the warmth of her eyes and the curls of her eyelashes screamed passion and softness. She seemed edgy because of her pixie cut and gelled short bangs. As she approached him, Sky noticed how almost all the passengers turned their head to her. Probably, her unique body-con dress and high-heeled knee-length boots made them assume that she was a rockstar.

"Madam Baby," Sky greeted, pretending to be glad to see her.

"Move aside," the woman ordered.