In The Night

It's late at night. Maybe around 10:00 pm, but you haven't checked the time in a while. With all the free time that summer brought it really didn't matter. You're driving in your car down a road that is busy during the day, but it seems like a ghost town in the nighttime. You take a right turn, followed by a quick left, pulling into your boyfriend's driveway. He texted you a little while ago, inviting you over last minute to spend the night. Your mind can't help but wander, curious what the night will bring.

You shoot him a quick text.

"I'm here."

He replies quickly.

"Come in, the door is unlocked."

You leave your car and shuffle up the stairs to the front door of his house. The door is unlocked, just like he said, so you enter the house, kicking your shoes off and then locking you car and chucking the keys on the small table beside the entrance. He's got a basement room, so you make your way down the stairs, and gently knock on the door before opening it.

You find him splayed out in bed, scrolling on his phone. He's so preoccupied he doesn't even notice your entrance. His shirt is off, exposing his toned body, which you admire for a second before you announce your arrival.

"Hey, babe." You say to him. He looks up at you and grins.

"Hey! How are you?"

"Tired. If it's okay with you, I don't feel like doing anything tonight. I just want to sleep." You expect disappointment from him, but all that shows on his face is a look of understanding.

"Of course, it's okay with me, I'm tired too. Here, come lay down." He shuffles over in bed and pats the now empty space beside him, smiling all the while. You can't help but smile back.

You keep your shorts on, but take off your shirt, making a beeline for his closet. You pick out one of his shirts that happens to be about 3 sizes too big for you, but it smells like him and it's comfortable. He holds the covers up for you as you make your way back to his bed, and you lay down beside him. He puts his arm around you while you make yourself comfortable, laying your head on his chest, tangling your bodies together. You close your eyes and breathe in the scent of him, taking deep breathes while trying to fall asleep.

It isn't long before you begin to dose off. You are still conscious, but right on the border of awake and asleep. A faint noise pulls you out of the dark. His arm is still around you, and your head is still on his chest, but something is different. You realize he must be watching something on his phone, because you feel a slight vibration on your cheek, and he seems to be softly singing a song. You don't recognize the song, but you don't care. You could be stuck in this moment for the rest of eternity and you wouldn't mind. Suddenly you feel like you need to shift your body to get more comfortable, and after you do so, you feel him give you a kiss on the head.

"I love you." He whispers, and you drift to sleep, not helping but noticing the slight smile on your face.