chapter one

I woke as I did everyday. Getting up from my feather bed and warm sheets. I pulled on a dress, blue and down to my ankles. I ran a brush through my ragged and tangled hair. Letting it fall know static and stringy from the brush. I grabbed a rubber band pulling it up into a bun on the top of my head. I slipped on my shoes and went to go attend class. I was in school to become one of the only acceptable things a girl could be around this time. A teacher or a nurse. I found medicine interesting and easy study for me so I was on my way to becoming a nurse. I had met a few people here and there but especially one other man. He was a doctor but polish like me. Kind man who showed me a lot of things I didn't already know. Adam is a good doctor with a good reputation around here. But little did I know today wasn't like every other day, not like every other day were I woke up got ready walked to work and helped with a few patients and cleaned up some rooms or helped with stitching up a deep cut of setting a broken bone. Today would be much more busy then any other day. As I walked in the front door la of the large hospital I was greeted by some other nurses and of course Adam who pulled me into a room. "Help me Gove this a girl a few stiches. Pooler thing won't sit still?" He asked me. I nodded walking in. There was a small girl maybe 8 or 9 years old. "Hi" I said giving her a smile. She was holding onto a bleeding hand. "Hi" she said her face was covered in tears and red trails were others had fallen. "Let me see you hand. I want to help you make it feel better. Ok?" She nodded holding out the cut palm. "You see this?" I he'd up the small needle causing her eyes to grow wide. "This is going make you feel better I'm going to take this needle and some string. Then I will thread it and just like sowing I will heal your cut right up. Then in a few weeks your come back and will take them out ok?" She nodded squeezing her eyes shut. I looked towards her mom who was turning kind of green. "Would you mind coming closer. Hold your daughters hand" I instructed and set to work on her small shaking palm. Soon enough she was all stitched up and ready to leave. "There you go, see you'll be all better soon" the girl smiled and Adam escorted them out coming back he smiled at me. "You really are quite good at that you know?" I smiled up at him and we went for another patient. Helping around it was finally lunch break and I was already exhausted. I sat Weymouth Adam as he finished hem is paper work watching his hands as he wrote in his nest handwriting. "Irene, have you heard about the advance?" He asked stopping everything and looking up at me. "Yes I have". He was talking about the Germans advancing to take over Poland. We could only hope it was rumors a and that wouldn't be happening. "Oh, well it's probably a rumor." He answered a little attempting to sovereign myself and probably himself. "Lets hope Adam. But keep on your toes." Just as I said that the earth shook and a boom echoed through the campus of the hospital. Adam ushered me and a group of others who had been out. This next one we heard it they planes flew over the building. Rattling the Windows in there frames along with what seemed like the bones in my body. Adam creeper towards a window only to push us down as another wave of planes flew over dropping loud explosives. I kept back thinking of all the patients I had seen today. "Adam, the patients" he looked over to me with sad eyes. "It would be no use, they would kill them for being handicapped." I looked up and felt the tears "we should still try." I said to him. "No please Irene don't if they get killed. Or if you die. I know I want to but I feel that this will be much faster and better for the patients." I stared at him I cant believe this he was helping them but as soon as his own life is in danger they mean nothing. "so its not even worth trying Adam? not even for a little girl or an old man?" I shouted at him. I could see the tears spilling over "Irene you cant, the top of the building. there already gone the top three floors were blown the other two collapsed. this is underground anyone down here is alive but the others are gone" I couldn't believe five floors of our hospital was gone, no this isn't right. I shook my head sinking to the floor. I felt Adam come over sitting with me and hugging me. the other nurses were huddled and crying. they were terrified, we were are terrified. "stay calm, shhh we will be ok" Adam said trying to soothe everyone into a silence. we stayed here on this room quietly sobbing as bombs fell and the ground shook so much we couldn't stand or we would be nocked back down. so we sat in silence our ears ringing as bombs grew closer and then further away. when we could no longer here the sounds of war we piled out into the smokey air. coughing and hacking we moved to the woods were it was a bit clearer. looking at the hospitals ruins was tragic seeing we had just been there doing our job like any other day. why would they bomb it tho, it was a hospital it could have been useful.