Mark V

[Name] barely blinked amid the cloud of dust and splintered wood that was narrowly a barrier between her, Darth Vader and Danny Maxo, who stood gallantly before her, as if to protect her.

He was no match for Vader and neither was she. But with some training as a Padawan ten years ago, she'd do better at protecting herself than he would. But she was grateful nonetheless.

Although it was only mere seconds, it felt like an eternity had passed before something - anything happened, which was Danny's hand reaching behind himself to hold hers within his. But it was the vase, one [Name] crafted with her own hands, that hurled across the room and knocked the young soldier over the back.

It was a large chunk of wood from her door that blasted through the dust that had yet to settle that smacked him across the forehead. She could hear a cabinet being torn from its base as Vader, who had yet to even speak, reached through the force to tear yet another object through time and space to injure Danny further. The young man fell to the floor, unconscious.

"Leave him alone, Vader," [Name] said, adopting a threatening tone.

A dark hand reached out and grabbed her. [Name] stared into the eyes of the mask, undaunted by the terror he wanted to impose. Vader gazed at the beauty, his eyes taking stock of previously inflicted injuries. Curse his artificial hands - his anger, for doing this to her. But he would extend no such mercy to Danny Maxo.

"Why must you kill my friends! You want to hurt him, you'll go through me first."

His eyes scanned the room for more objects to hurl - anything not nailed down, preferably. [Name] gasped, then threw herself before Vader. "Look at me," she demanded.

But suddenly, something across the room caught his eye. Captivated, he brushed by [Name] then walked to a small coffee table. A dark obsidian rock born of molten lava had been carved and sat on display. It was clear, glassy, intricate in detail... a sculpture of a tiny infant with the name "Mark V" hammered into its base. He held it in his hand, the dark orbs of his mask focused on it.

The statue was too precious for him to hold, [Name] thought. A homage to the little one whose life had been sacrificed for her own. Whose life had been lost to Vader's anger.

"They told me it was a boy. I named him Mark V," [Name] said.

"Mark V..." Vader repeated, his body as still as the statue he held in his hands.

Metal lungs suddenly wheezed. Vader sat the statue of the little one on the table then stumbled onto the terrace. The wind assailed him, but Vader held tight to the balcony as he struggled to will his breathing and heart beat back under control.

Danny Maxo came to, then slowly rose to his feet. Bruises and scratches marked his face. [Name] reached toward him and ran fingers through his curly hair.

"It's over..." she said.

Danny grabbed her arm and held it. But the look in her eyes spoke the truth: It could never be.

He stepped through the broken door giving [Name] a parting glance, wishing fate had brought them together years earlier.

[Name] turned sullen eyes toward the monstrous dark figure on the terrace. She walked toward him, past him even, and climbed over the ledge.