Chapter One

"I did not do that!" I laughed embarrassingly and gave April a shove. "Oh you so did. You gave Mr. Loverboy a run for his money when you shot him down. He looked like a sad puppy who got left in a thunderstorm when you denied him." April laughed and gestured towards him across the cafeteria floor next to the exit door.

I looked to the left of me and Jackson, who was standing across the way by the exit sign, gave me a shy smile and a small wave as he exited the cafeteria. What if I had shot him down? I don't know when I'm getting hit on, let alone when someone is interested in me. I'm just not all that interesting or good with conversing with someone I had just met. I was probably stuttering and saying "yea" one too many times anyways while we talked last night. Before I could respond, I glanced over at my ever so perfect best friend, April. I swear if I was lesbo, I'd be the first in line to get her attention; or so I think. If I was, I'd probably keep it secret for all of time and never tell her.

April is as beautiful as a person can possibly be. Her ivory skin and blonde hair compliment her blue eyes that always sparkle in the sunlight. Her laugh, which is far too contagious, always fills the room and over. She is the epitome of what every girlfriend should worry about if she was friends with their boyfriend. Not because she'd try to steal them, but because they'd fall in love with her after knowing her for a short while.

"April Renee Williams, if you do not stop talking about something that did not happen, I will gladly kill you in your sleep." I said jokingly while adjusting my posture to where I was sitting straight up instead of bent over the table while sitting. My mother always warned me about my posture, or I will end up like the hunchback if I stop sitting straight up.

"Hazel, give yourself some credit girl!" April pointed up and down my body. "You are so fab and sexy, I simply do not know how you can contain it all. If I had what you have, I'd for sure fuck everyone that looked my way." April was definitely someone who said exactly what they thought, almost simultaneously. It gets her in trouble from time to time, especially when she's around boys she's interested in.

I honestly don't know what she's talking about when she says she'd flaunt my body if she had it. I'm your average twenty- two year old who lives with her best friend and still has mom and dad help pay for rent as long as I have dinner with them once a week. I guess my olive skin and dark features are okay. My green eyes do look like emeralds in the sun..- what am I doing? Am I really that desperate to find something good about my body? Anyways, my thick chocolate colored hair is always in tangles, so I usually put it in a braid and call it a day. I don't know how to use make-up so mascara and clear lip gloss is all I can successfully pull off and be okay with. I usually stay to myself and stay inside my own head since that's all I ever did growing up.

My life story is as cliche as it sounds. Daddy made a living selling radiology equipment to all the hospitals in the region, so he made the big bucks. Mommy dearest got to implode on his success as long as she kept his affairs quiet and overlooked them without questions asked. To say their marriage is a sham, is an understatement.

"Helloo, earth to Hazel," April waved her hand in front of my face, trying to get my attention. I fluttered my eyes open and closed a couple times and then looked at her. "Oh I'm sorry, I guess I was in my head again." "You always do that, it's no big deal girl, but what were you thinking about? Were you thinking about how you were going to finish your project on your comp lit class?" Oh CRAP. I forgot that was due next week.

"Yeah, I gotta go brainstorm some more. I'll see you at home?" I started to gather my things and took one last swig of my smoothie while looking at April so she'd let me leave without any more questions. She nodded and replied back, "Yeah that's fine. Hey, real quick before you go," she stretched her neck a bit higher as well as her voice as I had my back turned towards her while I was grabbing my backpack to strap over my shoulders.