Back to Basics 🌲

I gradually came to consciousness in an unfamiliar room, distinctly not a hospital but just an ordinary house. My body ached all over, but I managed to muster enough strength to pull myself up. The sound of familiar voices in the next room brought a smile to my face. I hobbled my crippled body over to the doorway and stood there, my form limp. The hardwood floor beneath me creaked, and all heads in the room turned toward me. "Da--Kakashi sensei? You're okay!" I half smiled and tried to walk over to him, but I fell flat on the ground. I held my thumb in the air, signaling that I was okay, despite my battered state. I heard everyone gasp hearing people shuffling towards me. I looked up and saw that Sakura was trying to help me up. "Thank you, Sakura. How are you feeling?" I asked with a slight croak in my voice.

"I'm doing fine. But while you were asleep for two days, we realized we didn't eliminate Zabuza completely." My breath hitched a little, and then I calmed down.

"So... What's the plan?" I asked, trying to grasp what I had just heard.

"The plan is for you to stay away while I teach the others a few basics." I tilted my head to one side.

"Basics?"

_____________________________________________

I approached the tree cautiously, my fingers brushing against its rough bark. I could feel the subtle energy pulsating from it. While my dad continued his conversation with the others about the exercise, I decided to climb the tree. Using only my feet, I made my way up, reaching a branch that was just above the ground.

"You guys will be learning that." I looked down to see the three bewildered by my small but fundamental technique. I shrugged my shoulders and looked above me. The sky seems so peaceful, so calm. Not a single cloud in the sky. I looked back down to see the others had already started. They weren't getting anywhere till Sakura showed it how it's done. "It seems the girls are closer to becoming the next Hokage."

"You have a point. I think I wanna be the next Hokage. Maybe even the first female." I got a glare from Naruto and Sasuke. I chuckled, "A glare won't stop a Hokage. Hard work will." I glanced upward and made up my mind to go even higher. I wanted to get a full view of the entire island. I concentrated, channeling chakra into my feet and initiating the walk-up-the-tree technique. It felt remarkably smooth, and I was steadily ascending when suddenly, a loud and shrill cry from Naruto pierced the air.

The unexpected sound broke my concentration, and I began to plummet. The rushing wind enveloped me, and I could feel it clawing its way into my very soul. In a panic, I quickly formed the necessary hand signs. "Water Style: Bubble Protection."I braced for impact curling up in a ball. A tiny force field made of water from the grass and plants around me covered my body. I slowly glided to the floor. I let the water fall back, and the plants were again living. I looked at everyone, and they all gave me angered looks. "Sorry. Naruto screamed something, and I lost concentration. But with all these looks, I'll be on my way." I bowed and left in a puff of rose petals. I was back at the house, sleepy as I ever could be. There was a woman who had black hair.

"Hello. I️ didn't get to introduce myself earlier. My name is Tsunami." I️ smiled and waved.

"Hello. My name is Hikari!" She motioned me to the kitchen.

"Would you care to help me prepare food for everyone before they return? I️ know you must be tired. But the faster we cook, the faster you can have energy for whatever you need!" I️ laughed and agreed to help.

After our meal, we headed upstairs to get some sleep. I glanced at the room I had slept in earlier and noticed Sasuke walking towards it.

"Hey! Why are you headed to my room?" I sensed a pair of eyes on me and turned to find Sakura's gaze fixed on me, fuming in the hallway.