chapter one.

[word count 2380]

      I was in the car mindlessly staring out of the window, and thinking about the life I'd left behind in Virginia, and the new life I'd lead in California. I don't even really understand why I have to go across the damn country all because my parents divorced. My mom's a bit.. eccentric, and she thought that this could be, what, refreshing? Well maybe for her, but not for me, at all. I was perfectly fine with my old life. It also doesn't help that Woodsboro, the stupid podunk town that we're moving to, sounds like a place straight out of a horror movie.

      I decided to check my location to see what state we were in now, since I'd been zoned out, completely forgetting to check the signs. I did have my earbuds in, and I just realized that Wake Me up When September Ends by Green Day just turned on. It's one of my recent favorite songs. As Billie Joe's voice streamed through my earbuds, I continued to think about the new town. I haven't even seen the new house yet, which is odd. Why haven't I even seen a picture of the place I'm gonna live in for God knows how long?

      Oh shit, I forgot to check my location. I open the Maps app and zoom out until it says the city. Oh shit, wait, we're already in Cali? I paused the song and took an earbud out. "Mom, how are we already in California? We've only been driving for like, two hours.." Mom scoffed. How rude. "Seriously, y/n? Were you asleep or something?" She laughs. I stay silent, and she picks up on that. "Oh sweetie, I'm just joking! But yes, we're already in California. We've stopped multiple times, honey, and we left yesterday.." I stared at her, and she kept her eyes on the road. Good for her. "But.. what? I guess I've just been thinking so much that I lost track of that much time.." She nods and I look at my lap. Shit. I put my earbud back in and turn the song back on.

-

      "Y/n, wake up! We're here!!" I open my eyes and jump a little at the music still playing through my earbuds. I recognized the song as Creep by Radiohead. Nice. I sadly pause the song and take my earbuds out and look at my mom, who was staring in at me through the open passenger window. "We're here?" I ask, still pretty tired. She nods enthusiastically. "Come on, look at the house!! The mover boys have already dropped off all of our stuff, so we don't have to worry about that, thank God!" I couldn't help but smile at her mini-rant. Even though she was my mom, she was more like a sister, or a best friend. I mean, hardly anyone thinks that she's my mom, and that's probably due to the fact that she was fourteen when she had me. I hoisted myself up to a more alert position, then I unplug my earbuds from my phone and place both my earbuds and phone in my small bookbag then grab it then hop out of the car.

      When I took my first look at the house, my first thought was: big. The house was substantially larger than my last house, or any house I've ever lived in for that matter. "Jeez, Mom, how'd you afford this?" I teased her. I know she has money, but this had to cost half a mil, at least. "Oh shut it before I ground you," she retorted with a wink. We both laughed then walked towards the house, and I look at the scenery around the house as well. I saw a small creek/pond thing, which is pretty neat. Honestly, this is like, the coolest house I've ever seen, and I get to live in it?! Fuck yeah. We get to the front door and she unlocks it, and we walk in. It was... magnificent. Even prettier on the inside, which I didn't believe was possible. Soon enough, we start bringing our boxes to our bedrooms, the most important rooms in the whole house, except for the kitchen of course. I turned on music again, but I put the playlist on shuffle again and let it play and I started unpacking.

-

      A knock on my door. "Honey, you should get ready for bed! You do have school tomorrow after all! Oh yeah, and make sure you have everything all ready to go! I do not want you to leave a bad impression on you or me, okay? Love you!" I paused my music midway through her speech, and nodded as she spoke. "Yeah, yeah, don't worry, it's all set out. Love you!" I half yelled in response. I sighed and looked around my room. I wasn't finished unpacking, but she was right, I don't fare well unless I get a full eight hours of rest at night. I pin down the location of my pajamas then I throw them on. I go to the bathroom and use the toilet, brush my teeth, wash my face, all that cool hygiene stuff.