prologue

It had always been like this, and she hates it.

Kim Dahyun just wanted a promotion. She's been working her ass off, not getting enough sleep at night, and had put herself in the brink of death multiple times before, just to catch bad guys and bring justice for everyone. She sometimes honestly thinks she should be awarded greatly for her bravery.

And now, she's pissed that some unruly, bastard cop is getting the promotion she'd been wishing for. She feels insulted, knowing that that detective is known for receiving bribes from gangs for protection, and she thinks it's just unfair that someone shitty would be rewarded instead of getting punished by the law.

Here she is, eating lunch with her co-worker and ranting about how fed up she is about Detective Kwak's promotion. How she wishes it was she who's getting promoted, saying that she deserves it more because she's been a good cop and she's always been so devoted to her job.

Hirai Momo, her colleague, just nods as she listens to her rant. Just like she always does everytime they eat lunch together.

It's nothing new, Kim Dahyun had always been like this, ranting and venting about work and how stressful a case had been, and how she badly wants to get promoted, and Hirai Momo just listens intently, usually even putting her hand on Dahyun's shoulder and giving it a pat or a soft squeeze to calm her down, gazing sympathetically, as if her eyes were saying; "It's gonna be alright, I'm here."

"You know, this world just fucking sucks." Says Dahyun, before taking yet another sip from the can of beer that Momo bought for her.

It's ironic how she's been ranting about how she's been such a good cop and she's deserving of that promotion, when right now she's drinking during work hours.

"Yeah, I know." Momo replied as she looks at the floor and frowns. She mumbles to herself, "Would've sucked much worse without having you with me, though." and then she let out a sharp sigh of exhaustion.

Dahyun looks at her, with an eyebrow raised, and she asks,

"I didn't quite catch that one, what'd ya say?"

Momo felt shivers go down her spine as Dahyun looks at her, the same way that Dahyun looks at a case file, always with a fierce gaze as she reads and analyzes the information in it. She thinks right now she's being read by Dahyun, and the thought of it just makes her feel hot and bothered.

They both have never heard silence quite this loud.

"I.. well, I said it sucks worse if we didn't have each other. Like, well, you know.. We're friends, so it'd really suck worse if I hadn't met you, you make me feel great all the time.."

She answered sheepishly and hurriedly, averting her gaze from Dahyun as she feels so awkward right now that she just lied to her, and she hates lying, especially to the people that she trusts and trusts her a lot.

"And I hope I do the same with you! I hope I make you feel great, too." The latter adds up.

Dahyun gave Momo a pat on the shoulder as she chuckles at how flustered the latter looks at the moment.

"Well, you didn't have to answer hurriedly, we still have.. uh.."

She looks at the time on her Rolex.

"SHIT?! We only have 15 minutes left of lunchtime??? Now this sucks."

Momo laughs at how cute Dahyun was when she exclaimed, she then replies,

"We can still gossip if you want."

Dahyun takes another sip from her beer before replying,

"You know I'll just rant about the promotion again, and that's boooooring. I don't wanna bore you."