prologue

December 1st.

It was the day Yuri found out aliens were real.

She drove down the empty road, listening to her favorite underground indie artist, Conan Gray, and noticed a round aircraft right behind the middle school she went to a few years ago.

There was an undeniable strangeness about the vehicle, with its futuristic patterns and bright stripes of lights, but technology was advancing these days, and Yuri wasn't exactly up to date on these developments. It was expected that she couldn't help but cast a curious glance at it.

It looked exactly like a UFO she had seen in a movie she had watched with her family a few weeks back.

That's weird, Yuri thought. Maybe it wasn't a new tech development.

She slowed down and continued to stare at it. No one else was on the road anyways. Right when she decided to forget about it and drive off, a head of light brown hair rose from behind the glass. She slammed on the brakes, thrown off guard.

Maybe it was an alien.

He looked to be around her age, with scars littering his pale face. But that wasn't what shocked her. It was his yellow eyes. They were weirdly bright and glowing. He didn't seem to notice her, so Yuri quickly sped up, hoping he didn't see her.