Part 1

The world as we know it is a scary place, it always has been. Humans have always been at the bottom of the food chain, we can try to pretend that we're not, but we are no better than pigs and cows. Waiting to be slaughtered and eaten.

Wolves have sharp claws and sharp teeth. As do almost every predator. Lions, hawks, bears, alligators and even a tarantula could easily take out a human. Perhaps that's why when they started to mutate into stronger and faster predators, we humans started to realize just how weak we are.

And it wasn't just their strength and speed that improved. But even their brains developed into smarter and more patient creatures. It's probably the only reason why they were able to destroy the human race so easily.

First, they took away our communication. Our radio towers were destroyed, along with all of our technology. The military tried to fight back, but they only lasted three days before they were eventually all killed. The scientists tried to create a cure for the animals... But it only ended up making it so much worse.

Have you ever heard of the term "A walking zombie?" Well, if not, now you do.

The 'cure' as they called it pretty much finished us humans off. It not only effected animals, but everything that lived on planet earth. Something in our brains didn't mix well with whatever they put in that abomination.

Everyone that was infected with it became rabid and uncontrollable. Pretty much like a zombie. hence why I gave you the term. So not only are there super animals roaming around, but now there are rabid super animals roaming around. And things that were once human destroying everything in their path.

But enough of this history lesson, I have better things to do than sit here thinking about everything that went wrong in the past. Right now, all I can do is do what's best for the colony I have joined.

"Are you done daydreaming? If not, I might have to leave you behind, because I'm not waiting any longer when I have to get back as soon as possible." Fredrick is a dick, always has been. And I'm not saying the kind who says rude things in a polite way. No, I am talking about the kind that doesn't give two shits what you think. He will be as blunt as a doctor when it comes to what he thinks about you.

"Don't worry, I'm sure that whore of yours is patiently waiting on your bed with her legs spread open like an obedient dog. Definitely not screwing another man. So why don't you take a break from being an ass and help fill these bottles with water?" And then there's Jackson. My best friend... My only friend. He knows I have a bad temper better than anyone else. So, he knows I wouldn't care if I got flagged for beating someone's ass.

"Whatever man, at least I have someone. I bet you wouldn't even be able to get an old lady with that ugly mug of yours." The smirk on my face only got bigger. Because I knew as well as he did that Jackson wouldn't even look at a girl.

Let's just say Jackson Isn't into boobs.

"Uh huh, now if you're done with your pissy fit, I would like to get back to filling these water bottles." annoyed, Fredrick looks at me. I assume he wanted a fight and knew that he wasn't going to get anywhere with Jackson.

Little did he know that he wasn't going to get anywhere with me either.

"I'm checking the field. if you want to get back before sundown we need to split up." I then stand up and hand him the canteen. "Unless you want to go out there in the sun, then be my guest." Grudgingly, Fredrick swipes it from my hand and kneels next to the water.

"I'll go with you, it's not like we need three people refilling the water." I would rather go by myself, but Ammy was right. Besides, the more hands the better.