Personality Tests

Personality Tests: In Search of Identity

Personality tests have been around for some time now. Companies use them as hiring mechanisms to help determine who would best fit their culture. It has spilled into the church world as well. Some congregations have implemented these tests in order to help find a person's giftings, and where he or she would be best suited for service. Perhaps, you've taken one.

How many have taken these tests to figure themselves out? They don't know who they are, and hope a personality test will help them sort things out. At a minimum, they could latch on to some sort of label in which they could identify. But do these tests really connect you with your identity? What would happen if you took the test on an off day, and you answer the questions differently than what you normally would? Would the results be the same? What if those labels don't match the way the Lord sees you?

Have you ever heard of the placebo effect? Labels can work in a similar fashion. It goes to what Proverbs teaches us: as a person thinks so is he (see Proverbs 23:7). "Oh yea, that's me." This is not to say they have no validity whatsoever, but it may limit a person's belief about his or her self. For instance, some may believe they cannot take a leadership role, because a test may indicate they are best suited to serve in a different capacity. As a result, they inadvertently pigeon hole themselves into positions, while not giving themselves room to enter others in which the Lord desires. They develop thought processes that hinder His leading. An unintended consequence is the developing of deaf ears, in which one is incapable of hearing the proceeding Word of God. It would not be a consideration as far as they're concerned.

How many believers answer the questions from a mixed perspective? Meaning, they answer some in relation to their old nature, and others from their new one. This may indicate confusion about what they believe about themselves. Of course, this reveals the need for the renewing of the mind.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Do Personality Tests Match You To Your Calling?

One of the goals of personality and aptitude tests are to match people to their strengths. Strengths don't necessarily match one's calling -at least initially. As you study the Bible, how many people did you find the Lord leading into areas of weakness? They didn't have confidence in themselves to carry out their calling. If you can do something in your own strength, you can also claim the credit. Generally, people grow into their calling.

Secondly, God anoints individuals, and grants them the grace to carry out their assignments. Again, grace is the unmerited favor of God, which enables people to do the things that they could not do otherwise. Take courage, and consider this: For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in His presence. But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus, Who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord (1 Corinthians 1:26-31).

   Our confidence to accomplish the works of God must rest squarely in Him!