Prologue

Her mouth hung open as the nurse broke the news to her in the nicest way possible. Nicole was in shock, to say the least. The tears streamed down her face instantly, collecting at her cheeks. She dropped the phone to the floor as her cries increased, along with the pace of her heart. Her lungs rummaged for oxygen, for her sobbing had the same force as someone drowning. The flesh under her ribcage throbbed and her cheeks burned as her mind recalled memories and scenarios that made the tears continue.

Looking down at the floor, she couldn't help but to feel guilty for everything that occurred within the past 24 hours. She felt broken. The only person close to her heart had been ripped away almost in an instant. Her sidekick. Her best friend. Her twin sister.

Frantically opening the cabinet, she searched for something to numb the pain that had devoured her whole. She gripped her half-full bottle of Hennessy with one hand, taking a swig and clenching her jaw as it burned its way down her throat like liquid fire.

It didn't have to end like this, she thought to herself. It should've been me instead. She quickly shook the negative thoughts out of her mind, knowing that her sister wouldn't want her to take the blame. However, her sister had always been oblivious to the fact that there was more to Nicole than the bubbly, lighthearted, personality she faced the world with. She made a lot of mistakes, for she was human after all. Consequently, one of her mistakes had, in fact, led to the death of her sister. She just didn't know which one.

She sat in the eerie silence, running her fingers through her tangled hair in frustration. Nicole was more in denial than anything else. After she found out who killed her sister, then maybe she'd have time to grieve. The clock was ticking, and she knew that if she didn't find out soon, she'd probably be next. Her hands trembled as she gripped the bottle tighter before placing it to her lips once more and taking another sip. Her thoughts slowly began to fade as her body relaxed.

Even though the Henny was taking full effect on her, one thought still lingered in the back of her mind. What if I really am next? She just couldn't get over it, no matter how hard she tried. She needed an escape.

-

Copyright © 2016 by @christopherandchill

All rights reserved. Ain't no stealing bih. Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts ❤️