chapter twenty-two

❝ if i had known caring would have cost methis much, i would've savedmyself the trouble

this much, i would've saved
myself the trouble. ❞

CARINA SQUINTED HER EYES as the bright sun clouded her sight, stepping beside Ahsoka who looked out into the dull sand, "Welcome home, stinky."

"Jabba's palace is on the far side of the Dune Sea. We'd better hurry if we're gonna make it by morning." Anakin placed the backpack before Ahsoka who set the Huttlet into the bag before the blonde leapt down onto the sand.

Carina followed shortly after her husband, planting her feet firmly onto the ground glancing back to see Ahsoka gazing up at R2, "Oh, Artooie, it's just endless tracts of gritty, abrasive sand. I'll clean your servos later. Come on."

Carina chuckled softly, "He's going to be holding you to that."

Carina gazed at the large fossil peeking out from the sand, pressing her dry lips firmly together as she slipped her hands into her pockets.

Ahsoka watched Anakin's back, contemplating whether or not to speak before chiming up, "Master Yoda has a saying. 'Old sins cast long shadows.' Do you know what he means by that?"

Anakin glanced back at his padawan, knowing exactly what she was doing as he answered, "He means your past can ruin your future if you allow it. But you forget it was Master Skywalker who said, I don't want to talk about my past."

Carina raised her brows as she watched the Master and apprentice, smiling slightly as Ahsoka groaned out, "Okay, fine. There is so much more we can talk about out here. Like the sand."

The brunette shook her head, "Also not a good topic."

"The desert is merciless. It takes everything from you."

Ahsoka blinked in response as she looked over at Carina who sighed, "Told you." The padawan turned her gaze back at Anakin, "That's a happy thought. It won't take us, Master. Right, Artooie?"

"I wouldn't jinx anything, Ahsoka."

Carina watched the two suns begin to set, the sky beginning to darken up as an eerie sensation suddenly plagued the brunette's mind. Voices softly whispering as a chill ran up her spine.

The three Jedi abruptly came to a halt and the Algora girl grit her teeth as Ahsoka spoke up first, "We're not alone."

"I sense it, too. It's the dark side of the Force." Anakin narrowed his eyes at the far distance as Carina quietly muttered, "Dooku."

Anakin gazed down at the two girls, "Whatever it is, it's coming for the Hutt. Time to split up."

Ahsoka knitted her brows together in confusion, "We'll face it together, Master." The blonde male shook his head, "Not this time, Snips. I have a far more important mission for you and Carina."