FIVE, "LINGERING SHADOWS AND STARES"

. . • ☆ . ° .• ✧°:. *₊ ✩° ・゚. ☆

The feeling of being watched never left Hayden.

In fact, ever since the werewolves had joined Seabrook, the Buchanan girl always felt like a pair of eyes were locked onto her, surveying and studying her every move. Like she was a prey being hunted by a predator, waiting for the kill.

And if she was being honest, she hated it. She felt like she was constantly on edge, the hairs on the back of her neck stood every time a chill snaked its way down her spine.

Hayden was headed over to Addison and Bree, where they sat at one of the tables. She set down her books, shooting her friends a smile, but felt that sinking, familiar gut feeling she knew all too well—someone was watching her. Hayden turned around, her eyes finding a pair belonging to a particular werewolf's, who quickly tried to hide his face behind his book.

The girl walked over and gently plucked it out of his grasp. She then flipped it around for him, placing it correctly in his hands. "There. Now you can focus on the right words in your book instead of on us." She smiled, making sure the mockery was evident.

Wyatt stared at her, almost stunned for a moment, before a grin split across his face as he laughed awkwardly, showing off those sharp set of fangs of his. "Thanks. What would I have done without you?"

"Not have read a book on," she took a glance at the cover, "The History of Seabrook, that's for sure. From Settlement to the New Post-Emergency Age?" She quirked a brow at him, "You must find that so interesting."

"Well enough." Wyatt leaned against the shelf closer to her. "What if I told you I found you even more interesting?"

Hayden rolled her eyes and chose not to take the bait, heading back to the table in order to join Addison and Bree. She recognized the presence of being followed, knowing—more like feeling, Wyatt on her heels.

"I think you're taking this whole shadow-buddy a bit too far, huh?" Hayden commented over her shoulder. "You don't need to follow my every movement. Do you know that? I think it's important you know that."

The day the werewolves had been allowed to enroll as students at Seabrook, Principal Lee had made a request—a strange and interesting one, if you asked Hayden, to say the least.

The woman had asked Hayden to show the werewolves around and help them if needed, practically making it her job to make sure they are comfortable and feel welcomed in the school. Why Lee had chosen Hayden of all people was beyond her.

And to layer it on, as if her whole intention was to make matters way more complicated, Principal Lee had even split them up into pairs to shadow certain students throughout their first day of classes.