Chapter I

November 2016

"The cruel rain will water those who want to bloom."

"Dorian Gray. Some of you might have heard it but I assume that most of you haven't read it... Let me explain the content of the classical work of Oscar Wilde." His distinct voice and dignified looks made himself a noteworthy professor. Anthony Thomas, the young professor who was born in London but studied in America.

Holding a book in his other hand and what seems to be a conductor's baton, he waved it like a wand filled with magic and instructed what page to turn to. With the touch of paper on his, clawed hands rough and dusty as he plucked the asked page. Closer to a page he asked, a student raised his hand. "I just want to ask if I can do a quick run to the loo." With his fingers behind his back, the young man crossed and wanted to be given approval.

With stern visage he turned, promptly "If I say no, will your insides and digestive excrements explode in my lecture hall?" he remarked as the whole room burst into a choir of laughter. The poor guy looked at him and violently nodded.

Out of desperation, Anthony let him go. "Exploding excrements surely are a thing," He topped, "Hold on! Barbarians are banging at the door!" he shouted at his hurried student, causing the laughter to intensify inside the room. The environment he created is not only for learning but for creativity, happiness, growth and more importantly, comfort. He believes that students learn if the environments they are in are pleasing, humorous and light. A dark, putrid and depressing environment will likely discourage the students from learning.

"Can somebody put a timer in Mr. Oakwood's discharging session, let's see if he beats his current best." a forward smile on his students as he turned his back and wrote the things they needed to do for the next three weeks he is out. The touch of the dusty chalk created an eerie grima that everybody hated. Anthony gritted his teeth as the friction between the board and the chalk created the pugnacious intent manifesting in his movements.

His student groaned at the sight of the word 'essay' and 'reaction papers' Anthony turned to his students and raised the book he was holding, with papers on his hand he called the learners attention, "Hear ye, hear ye. Art thou thee written thy essay shan't yield no more than three pages, if thy ignorance made me read more than three pages, I swear to Jesus Christ, I'll nail you in your coffin and your topics are about why you all chose my subject. "

"Sir, how about the reaction paper?" a student asked. "Same as the essay, and this time you'll be reacting to The Picture of Dorian Gray. I know some of you don't have a copy so I made sure that all of you have a copy, pick it up this midday at the lounge, I'll be waiting for all of you, just like always..." He paused when he heard the creaking of the door; there a demure man was peeking through the door's glass. Anthony noticed the man but decided to somewhat ignore his presence and wait for him to formally ask for entrance.

"Or if you feel bold enough, you can write me a whole manuscript of a novel, screenplay, memoir or whatever you like. Any genre and the deadline will be by graduation. I will not give you anything but a standard; it should be no less than fifty-thousand words nor will it exceed a hundred, written in whatever point of view you want, copyrighted by you and you alone with your signatures at the last page."

Oakwood peeked through the glass, and then one of his students raised hand and stated the obvious, "What seems to be a problem Mr. Haas?" He asked, ignoring the fact that he already knew what the problem was. Haas then pointed at the door where Oakwood stands; there he mentioned the common courtesy, good manners and right conduct. He also stated how they suddenly forgot the house rules he had set. Haas scratched his head as he stood reserved in front of Anthony whereas he turned his gaze to Oakwood who was grinning like a monkey, Anthony signaled using his hand, waving it, calling the wayward kid inside the room. Anthony then turned to his students, obviously asking for the time Oakwood spent in the loo.