Before The Lost Boys

Six year old Chacho laid on his little bed, hiding under the blankets. "¡No mamá!" Chacho screamed at the top of his lungs.
"My little Chacho, you mustn't scream. You don't know what could hear you from outside of this window." His mother chuckled a little, but he couldn't see why she did.
Chacho clung onto her hand as she got up. "It is not right to laugh about this! The Chupacabra will come through my window and eat me if you don't stay!"
The young women took a seat again. She looked at his eyes that threatened to cry if she left. "As long as I live, I will protect you from anything or anyone that tries to tear you away from me." Chacho had heard his mother speak to him in this tone every time he was scared. He liked how it made all his worries disappear. She stayed with him that night and told him stories about his father until she fell asleep.
He thought about how cheerful the man was. He remembered his father playing the guitar and teaching him how to make them. His father had recorded videos before he left and he now watched those, although he was still too young to understand all of it. Chacho was only five when his father left. His mother had told him that his father went to the United States and that his father would write back soon. After that they would be a family again.
Just as he was dozing off, he saw something move outside his window. "¡Mamá!" His scream had woken his mother up. "It's the Chupacabra! It is hungry!"
"Chacho, hush! Your cousins are trying to sleep." She looked outside the window to see what all the fuss was about. On the tree hung a little creature. "That is called a bat. It can not harm you from out there. Turn on your nightlight to scare it away. It can only hunt in the dark."
Chacho jumped out of his bed and ran to the wall. He felt for his nightlight and turned it on. He crawled back into his mother's side. He felt much better now that he had scared the bat away, but it still scared him that the bat looked similar to how his mother had described the Chupacabra. He got too tired to worry anymore so he fell asleep.

"You got a letter from Allonso." Graciela rushed out of the child's bed and ran for the envelope that her sister held. She hadn't heard from him in a year. She opened the envelope.
Graciela, I have finally settled down in the United States and I've got a good job. I have enclosed some money to help you and Chacho come here. From my experience it was quite hard to do, so it may be dangerous for our little one to come. Maybe leave him with your sister, Gabriela. When I make more money and when you join me, together we can work for a plane ticket that will help bring Chacho to us safely. I made a friend in Wonderland, named Celia. When I was on my journey, she had the heart to help me cross the border, because it was once her goal too. Head for the mountains with factories near it. After crossing the mountains look for a small house and go there. Remember to be alert for the farm patrols. Celia will give you the details to where I'm staying. Travel safely Graciela.
Chacho had just woken up and saw a smile on his mother's face, but sadness in her eyes. "What is it, mamà?" She set the paper down.
"It's your father," she said "he's ready for us." She couldn't tell him that he had to stay with Gabriela. She turned to talk to Gabriela.
Chacho saw them whispering but couldn't tell what they were talking about. To the boy, it looked as if his aunt was upset and he was correct. She headed for the door and opened it. "I will not take care of him, Graciela. My children and I are going with you two too." Then she left.
Graciela didn't know her sister wanted to go to the United States. Now she had to find a way to keep Chacho safe, while they all were away. She tried thinking of many plans. Then that's when she remembered The Lost Boys. All she had to do was fake her death in front of the Keepers and they would take care of Chacho. Later she could write back to him, explaining everything. "Chacho, pack your bags. We're going to the United States."

Chacho carried his small backpack with his clothes and toys in it. He looked up at the sky, it was a cool and starry night. He wondered how the sky looked like in the United States.
He looked around and saw a big factory and even bigger mountains. Chacho, his mother, and cousins started walking towards the mountains. He didn't know if he could climb them, but he wouldn't mind trying. He looked to his cousins to see if they were up to it, but his aunt was gone. "Mamá, where's tía?"
"Your tía said she'll catch up, later." Chacho made sense of it, she probably wasn't fit enough to keep up.
There was a bright flash. Chacho heard something too, but he didn't know what it was. He saw that all of his cousins had flee and his mother was on the ground. Tears ran down his face. He didn't know why they would leave them. "I'll go find tía for help, stay here." He said it even though he knew his mother couldn't hear him.
He ran back towards his house, but two men ran to him. They seemed nice so he told them that his mother needed help, but instead they brought him into the big factory he saw earlier. "Welcome to where The Lost Boys live." Someone shouted.