Untitled part

I was excited, but in a way sad. This summer vacation would be over in under a week, but tonight was The Mid-Summers dance. Let me start over from the beginning.

I live in this neighborhood that's more or less a community. Before you enter there is a sign that says 'Welcome to the New Hill homes' I used to never know much outside it. I was innocent, and young. I listened to my mother and, everyday after school I would tell her everything. From who was wearing the cutest outfit that day, to which teacher annoyed me the most. She was like a best friend.

I wasn't ever outgoing, I was always extremely shy. The neighborhood girls would bully me, with their perfect Barbie dolls in one hand. They would surround me on their pink bicycles, I would then run home crying to my mother. Then one day, Mona moved next door.

I was too shy to say anything, I figured the other girls would be friends with her. Together they would bully me, maybe she had a Barbie doll and pink bike of her own I thought.

I was wrong however. One day after school, all the moms where walking their son or daughters home from school, one little girl came alone. I was one to get home fast so I could sit on our porch swing and read, then I heard a voice.

"Hi, my names Ramona but most people just call me Mona. I live right there next to you, I'm pretty much new around here and you don't seem all to bad. Wanna me my friend?" She came up to me, Mona always came up to me first.

From then on we were inseparable, if I wasn't at her house she was at mine. I was always scared she would leave me but, after junior year that anxiety went away. Slowly however, I drifted away from my mom. Don't get me wrong I love my mother but, I guess I started growing out of that good girl shell and into that bad teenage rebel.

My mother is a consular at a school made especially for troubled teens, she was also a child psychologist. We spoke at seminars together, and even wrote books about the whole "how to take control of your rebellious teen". Yup she's doing a great job of that.

My mother still has a little hope and thinks I'm still safe. She'd be mortified if she found out that I smoked cigarettes before. Not only that but when she thought I was out 'studying' Mona, I'm usually at a party. Did I feel guilty? Of course my mother was innocent, had no knowledge if this but, I feel like she's starting to catch on.

Anyways back to tonight, I was ready to go and about to call Mona when suddenly she called me first. At first I just thought she was gonna ask if I was ready until I heard her speak. She sniffed and sobbed, this was bad.

Mona only cries when it's absolutely necessary, so I could only think the worse.

"Hello" I tried to sound normal but, I knew something was up.

"He's gone Scarlet, I- I didn't even" Mona could barley speak in between sobs.

"No, don't tell me. What happened to Macon?" I was worried, my heart felt like it was just gonna hop out of my chest and out the window.

"On his way to the lake, he got into an accident. They don't know everything yet but..." She stopped, I didn't ask her to keep going. It hurt her to much.

"I'll be right there" I was already almost out the door, then my mom showed up. Uh! Crap caught.

"Where do you think you're going young lady?" God I HATE when she says that.

"Over to Mona's it's a huge emergency she-"

"Gossiping about what you two are going to wear on the first day of school can wait. Now head up to your room it's late." She glanced at her watch, school didn't even start for a week. Why the hell is she telling me to go to bed!?