Chapter 1 Mirari

𝐀𝐍 𝐏𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃 𝐈 𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝟎𝟑 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐫𝐲 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞. 𝐌𝐲 𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐛𝐥𝐞  𝐈 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐈 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐢𝐭 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 :)

𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐩𝐬: 𝐇𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐲𝐗𝐅𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐇𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐲𝐗𝐆𝐞𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐞 𝐃𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐨𝐱𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐢𝐬𝐞 𝐍𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐗𝐋𝐮𝐧𝐚 𝐒𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐮𝐬𝐗𝐑𝐞𝐦𝐮𝐬

𝐈'𝐥𝐥 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐮𝐚𝐥 𝐓𝐖𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐭.

TW: Abuse, Marked when it appears and ends.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry awoke with a start. For a minute, he wondered why he had awoken so suddenly before Petunia's shrill voice cut through his confusion.

"Get up now and make breakfast for Dudder's birthday!"

Harry groaned. Dudley's birthday. How could he have forgotten. Every year, for as long as he could remember, Harry's cousin Dudley had to have the perfect birthday. He couldn't remember the last time he had celebrated his own birthday. Let alone had it been acknowledged. However, this was usual behavior for the Dursleys. He cleaned and cooked and obeyed requests, and unless he made a mistake or his uncle was drunk or angry (and it was too often of late), they ignored him. Petunia yelled for him, breaking him out of his thoughts.

Brushing the cobwebs out of his shoes, he slipped out of the cupboard under the stairs. I wonder how many presents Dudley has gotten this year? He wondered. He counted the gifts stacked in a mountain on the table. Oh boy, 52... 5 less than last year. Duds is not going to be happy.

He made breakfast as fast as possible, sneaking a piece of bacon or two into his pocket for himself, walking past his uncle, who was reading the morning newspaper, and into his cubby. As soon as he had started on his bacon, he heard the thunderous footsteps of Dudley coming down the stairs, and the screaming began.

"ONLY 50!!!! LAST YEAR I HAD 57!!!"

"Dudders, we can buy you more when we're out at the shopping center today." Harry laughed that Petunia thought that would satisfy duds.

"NO! IT'S NOT ENOUGH!'' Dudley practically roared.

"Well, what would you like?" Vernon asked. There was a pause that indicated duds was trying to think.

"I want a new tv." More silence.

"Ok. If that's what you want, we will get you one." Aunt Petunia said carefully. The rest of the day went smoothly. That is until Dudley pulled open the door to his cupboard, watching him with those buggy eyes.

"What did you get me?" He asked. Oh, I'm so fucked. He knew he had nothing duds would want.

"Nothing?" Dudley's eyes widened and he stormed off yelling at his father.

"Daddy! Harry didn't get me anything!" He began fake crying. A tactic that worked well on Harry's aunt and uncle. Vernon stormed up the stairs putting harry out of his cupboard by the scruff of his sweater. Harry tensed. He knew his uncle had been drinking and that he was angry.

Vernon threw him into the living room.

"Why didn't you get duds anything!!?" Harry could see that his temper would not last long. His veins were pulsating and there was sweat covering his forehead. He backed away trembling from fear of what was about to happen.

⚠️ TW STARTS NOW! Skip to the very end of the chapter if you're not ok with it!!!!! ⚠️

Duddley backed into the opposite corner from Harry watching in trepidation. Vernon glared at Harry. Harry cowered bracing himself.

"You should have gotten your cousin, something boy!" Harry didn't respond. Vernon strode forward grabbing his sweater and pulling him up. He was so close that Harry could smell the whisky on his breath.

"Respond to me boy! You will get him something. Understand?" Harry nodded quickly.

"Use your words boy!"

"Yes sir" Harry responded quickly. Vernon threw him into the wall.

"Maybe a beating will make you remember to be respectful." He growled. Kicking him in the stomach. Harry curled up into himself to protect himself as Duddely joined in kicking him and hitting him. He whimpered begging them to stop. They only hit harder. After some time they grew tired of their game walking off to find something else to do. Harry lay on the floor for what felt like an hour until he heard their bedroom doors closing. He sat up shaking from pain and exhaustion. Crawling up to the bathroom he looked at himself in the mirror. He was bone thin and covered in bruises and scars. Fresh bruises and cuts littered his back and legs. He took time cleaning up wincing as he worked on a particularly bad spot on his shoulder.

⚠️TW OVER!!!⚠️

He limped back to his room. settling down on his bed waiting for sleep to overcome the pain. Unexpectedly there was a tapping at the window. He opened it up to see a large man with a huge beard grinning up at him. Harry thought he was dreaming, this was very strange he thought. The man held up a letter.

"Here you go, Harry. Read it then I'll Take you to buy your things." Harry took the letter thinking it was even more peculiar that the man knew his name. He opened the letter. It read.

Dear Mr. Potter,

You are a wizard.

You have been accepted into Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry.

We hope to see you on the first day of school. Inclosed is a list of materials you will need as well as directions as to how to get here.

Sincerely Minerva McGonagall.

Harry stared at it in shock. He looked up at the large man again. He looked down at the paper and realized he had slit his finger open and was bleeding. This was no dream.

Mirari 

Latin

Meaning: To be surprised

An: Thanks for reading! Leave suggestions!