Chapter One

It was a late autumn day when things started to become a bit, well, odd. Me, being ten at the time, would obviously misbehave. I'd get into things I wasn't supposed to. I'd steal things from stores. And other times I'd just plain be a little asshole.

My grandmother would always tell me, "Behave young child. Or one day, The Huffer will come and take you from your bed at night and you will never be seen again." She would tell me to keep a keen eye out for glowing red dots in my window at night and listen for quiet gasping, groaning, or huffing noises as well.

I was ten. So what would you expect? A formal and perfect child? No! You would, most likely, see a distraught young girl who was paranoid from what her grandmother told her. What? Some weird creature would come and kill me in my sleep? I had a hard time believing her but, I'll admit, it scared me shitless.

I remember, one day, waiting for my bus to go to school; hearing a slight groan coming from the garage. I quickly peered in to see if I could see the glowing eyes my Grammy would talk about but I saw nothing. No trace of anything, except a small gouge mark on the wall as if someone, or something, took a long claw and scraped at it.

I froze in my spot, violently shaking. Was Grammy right? Was there a so called Huffer? My bus pulled up to the end of my drive way but I stood in place and stared blankly into the garage. The bus driver honked and shouted my name. I slowly stepped back and ran to the bus.

"What was that about?" I remember my friend Becky asking. "Oh, that?" I exclaimed. "I-I was just waiting for my... Umm.. My father to... Uh... get me my pencil?" I stuttered. She didn't believe me, but instead left it with a slight, "okay."

I sat down in the seat across from her and stared out the window. Giving a deep sigh I looked down into my lap and twirled my fingers around each other. I couldn't stop thinking about the Huffer.

------

After school, I asked my mother if she could take me to grammy's house. Once she dropped me off I walked up to her. "Grammy." I spoke in almost a whisper. "Can you tell me more about... About the Huffer?"