Sunshine

She held him close, tears streaming down her face. She stared down at the older male who was smiling up at her, a large gash in his side. "Don't... Don't cry, Angel. I'll be alright." The male reached up slowly, patting the young girl's head. "It'll be alright, I promise." The girl sniffled, trying to find her words. "B-But, you... Nn... You're losing a lot of blood." The male patted her head once more, his breathing beginning to slow. "I'll be okay, though. I'm not going to leave you, Angel... I'll always be by your side. Always and forever." He smiled, tears beginning to roll down his own cheeks. "I love you, Angel," he spoke softly. The girl smiled a little, sniffling again. "I love you too, Dominic."

"Angel... Sing to me, please?" The male stared into the young girl's eyes as she stared back into his, trying not to lose control of her breathing. She nodded slowly, smiling a little again.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. You never know, dear, how much I love you.. Please don't take my sunshine away."

The male's breathing was slow and quiet, his eyes half-lidded. His hand still atop the young girl's head, he rubbed it slowly, smiling weakly up at his lover who continued to sing.

"The other night, dear, as I lay sleeping; I dreamt I held you in my arms. When I awoke, dear, I was mistaken... So I hung my head... And I cried."

At this point, the male's eyes were closed, his breathing barely audible. The girl watched, listening, and waiting for the inevitable. She started singing again.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey... You never know, dear, how much I love you..."

The male's hand slowly slid off of the young girl's head, falling limply into his lap. She stopped singing, her eyes wide, and tears streaming down her face in full force once more.

Please don't take my sunshine away.