The Usurped Emperor

By: Mugen - 2022

Chapter 1: Emperor Dain Allegra Flagon

"My lord! There you are! The council is waiting for you." Dain's butler for more than two years, Edric, said to him while he was practicing on how to shoot a bow.

"They had to come so early." Dain muttered to himself as he went back to his room and was dressed appropriately by his servants.

"Do I really need to wear this?" He asked. "Yes, my lord. Your later mother would have wanted this to be your formal clothes." Alexius Novak said. The tall man with gray hair that was standing at the door was Dain's godfather. Alexius was the one who trained Dain ever since his mother died of an illness and his father died in a battle against another kingdom.

Dain was now wearing a blue uniform with golden cauldrons and white cape. He looked at the mirror as he brushed his ash blonde hair which he inherited from his father and rubbed his blue-green eyes that he got from his mother.

"You will need to impress them, my lord. Have you thought of any plans to turn the tide of the war against the Bulwark Kingdom to our favor?" Alexius said. "Don't you think that's your job, as one of the high-ranking generals here in our military?" The young Dain asked. "That might be true, my lord but we need your blessing with everything we do in the empire." Alexius said.

Dain sighed and said "Fine, I am now appointing you to be the highest ranking general of them all and I will leave all the battle strategies or techniques or whatever you want to call them in your position, okay?" "But, my lord, you can't just..." Alexius tried to plead his case but Dain wouldn't hear more of it.

Dain Allegra Flagon, the 86th Emperor of the Flagon Empire is currently about to celebrate his 23rd birthday in a couple of days. He is a brilliant individual, capable of understanding certain situations as they are and is also able to adapt well but the only thing that hinders him from properly ruling the empire is that he has no drive to do so.

Ever since the death of his father two years ago at a battle against the Bulwark Kingdom, he was directly appointed to be the emperor at the young age of 20. Many people believed that the Flagon's dynasty was over and that the empire is soon to fall, however, the young emperor was able to maintain his ground and made sure that it would not happen.

Despite his lack of drive and experience, he was able to attend to the basic necessities of an empire, proper supply of food and water, consistent jobs and wages for the masses and stable protection from foreign threats.

Still, the people of Flagon Empire see this as inadequate and wished for Dain to finish what his father, Emperor Cain, started and that is to defeat the Bulwark Kingdom.

"I never get tired of the snowy climate here." Dain said. The Flagon Empire was a northern empire, blessed with a cold and white weather. "It's quite interesting that your sisters preferred summer and fall." Alexius said.

"Right?" Dain smiled as he and Alexius arrived outside of the council room.

"Dain!" Two familiar voices reached Dain and as he looked behind him, he saw two of his closest and favorite cousins, Greysen Falkenrath and Valeria Flammia.

Greysen had dark hair and dark blue-eyes. He was taller than Dain despite being still 17 years old. Valeria on the other hand was older than the two of them and had red-brown hair with brown eyes. The two wore traditional royal attires with cauldrons like Dain's.

The Flagons had two relatives by their sides ever since Lola Flagon, the 84th Empress and the grandmother of Dain, the Falkenraths and the Flammias. The Falkenraths are the Flagon's extended hand when dealing with internal affairs in the empire headed by Apollo Falkenrath, Greysen's father, while the Flammias are the ones dealing with external issues headed by Luciano Flammia, who is Valeria's father.