Chapter 8

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓ One day┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

One day
┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

It's a cold morning, as you are standing around the gates to the Harbinger's land area.
Since it's bothersome to travel across Teyvat to fulfil your duty as a Fatui soilder, you were permitted to guard the property.
There are more useful and more experienced guards than you, so you weren't placed infront of the gates, but a random spot around the iron fence.

You check the area around you every six minutes with your eyes, making sure there is no suspicious person wandering around the property, and that the other guards are all in position.

Every guard is standing infront of every fifth stone mast between the sections of fences, making it impossible to chat during working hours.

Every 90 minutes, the soilders march to the post of the guard on their right, it's not a long distance, but it helps getting the blood in your body to flow again and regain your concentration.

Some guards stand there all day, others get replaced after 6 hours, and so do you.

(Me trying to make sense)

"...", you're staring into the depths of the snezhnai dal', peacefully appreciating your nation...

"Booh", you hear a deep voice behind you.

You jump as this scared the living shit out of you, turn around almost immediately and point your weapon to the person behind the fence.

For a moment, you were afraid it would be Pantalone ready to fuck you on your post trough the bars, but to your fortune or disappointment it was just Dottore.

Wait?? Dottore???? You lower your weapon right away glaring at him in disbelief.
"S-Sir Dottore??"

"Hehe", he giggles, "You noticed me very late, weak."

Uh yeah, you expect the guards at the gate entrance and around the residence to check on who is on the land, you're just responsible for the surroundings-

"Me and Pantalone were supposed to meet half an hour ago, he is nowhere to be found though. Do you have any idea?"

"Ehem... I apologise, I don't know, if he isn't inside the residence... he's probably doing business outside and runs late..."

You heart is still racing from the jumpscare.
How come Dottore came here personally in first place? Couldn't he just send a soilder to ask you?

"I see, that means you'll have to take care of this~"
He starts explaining his expenses, as expected from a experimentalist.
You watch him getting all emotional about his ideas, and after 10 minutes of him babbling about his goofy gruesome hilarious plans, you feel your brain shutting down.

"Sir... Sir Dottore.", you carefully interrupt him.
He stops and looks at you irritated,
"If you find a guard to replace my shift, I can take care of the matter for Sir Pantalone, otherwise i have to get back to my shift-"

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
Two hours later
┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

Dottore seriously found someone to replace your post, and dragged you into the office.
Pantalone is indeed nowhere to be found, making you wonder a little.

Dottore SWORE to you that Pantalone is responsible for paying the expenses, so if it turns out that he snatched his money, it's hopefully not on you.

You felt like a father ordering his 5 years old child absolutely useless, expensive, ugly toys from eBay (pls).
But, it's finally done, and Dottore seems to be happy.

"Well then... I hope that Pantalone will not murder me seeing 14% of his money gone."

"Hehe, if he does, I will freeze your dead body and use if for future experiments on reincarnation.", Dottore says amused.

"...", the worst part is that he is probably serious about this, but when Pantalone is back, you'll tell on him for wanting to abuse your future dead body.

"Anyways... Sir Pantalone is still not back, but he should have been, right?"

Dottore's face turns serious, "Yes. He usually does his best to never be late."

You sigh, looking around for clues to where he is.
In fact, you know that Pantalone is noting all his plans and meetings, but you never had a look inside that notebook, it's probably on him.
It would also be no suprise if Pantalone was doing a lot of things behind everyone's back, he isn't the wealthiest man for nothing.

"Do we have to worry? It's been more than two hours...", you ask slowly, as you don't want to make it obvious you care more about him than you should.

"Naahh, He's a Harbinger after all, even if Pantalone hangs around in here most of the times, he knows how to defend himself."

You remember his fit body, wondering how many times he actually had to fight during a business meeting.

"Alright, thank you.", you nod, hoping Dottore leaves before you're forced into listening to his oral essays again.

"You like him don't you? You're all worried about him, doing his work even if you are not forced to prioritise it over yours?"

You freeze, not sure how honest you're supposed to be with Dottore. You're not even sure in what way he means 'like'.

"It's suprising if you do, I know him to be of cruel, ignorant character when it gets personal, or is he giving you special treatment?~"

"...", you remember all the times Pantalone has thrown slurs at you while being intimate, and how much of a fake, sympathetic personality he is putting on when interacting with costumers.
It's only now that you wonder if anyone ever heard your moans from outside the office, Dottore seems to be around a lot begging for money, he might have just left if he heard you two fucking.

"Our relationship is strictly business- and money-related... So, I have no idea what you are talking about. He seems like a kind man.", you half-lie.

"Hehe, that's what all his past assistants said. I wonder where they are now."