Unwinding

Mobei-jun was, despite his cold and confident appearance, a rather stressed man, body filled with tension most of the time. He could hardly remember when was the last time he could fully relax and not worry about anything. It was probably somewhere in his childhood until it was announced he would be the one taking over the company later on.

Everything had got stressful from there: good grade, good appearance, good relationship with people he didn't give a shit about, most of his family fake towards him, his uncle even trying multiple times to push him out of the picture, needing to deal with stressful matters and ordering people around. Never warmth and love, only distrust and anxiety that something he was doing would come back to bite him.

This is probably why as soon as he was able to get away from the main family residence he did. The calm, silence and privacy his condo could give him were exactly what he needed. This is why he wouldn't let anyone in, other than if something was wrong and he couldn't deal with it himself. Even a close friend, or as close as he would allow it, like Luo Binghe hadn't set foot in here many times. This space was his and no one was allowed, as he believed it could maybe help him relax, although it barely did, stressing matters often following him home.

Yet he had broken this promise of keeping this place private to himself rather quickly with Shang Qinghua.

There was something about the man that was reassuring, and despite his way of living more carelessly, was one of the least stressful things in his life.

The man was a writer, publishing many of his books online. It wasn't exactly the type of literature Mobei-jun would usually read, but a magazine article about his successful work had caught his eyes and he decided to look into it.

It wasn't the greatest work he had ever read, but he had kept on reading because of the notes the author would leave at the end of chapters. He ended up reading all the works the man had done, a surprisingly high amount of stories. It surprised him a bit when he realised they were helping him relax a bit more, or at least forget about work.

At first, he never left any impression, then he ended up leaving little comments here and there. At some point all he had left to read was the ongoing work of the writer, leaving him to wait for each new update. He would never admit it out loud to anyone, but it was always a small spark of joy in his stressful day to see a notification about a new update.

With this work, he ended up on the discussion forum more often, something he wasn't used to before. Talking with others was also entertaining enough sometimes, feeling a weird sense of joy when the author himself would reply to him.

His handle, NorthernKing, ended up probably as known as Peerless Cucumber, mainly due to the two often disagreeing about each other comments and critics. Some would say that, at this point, it wasn't always just a question of not agreeing, but simply needing to have the last word. But even this wasn't really stressful, he liked defending the work of an author he liked, mostly when the critics were too harsh and not true.

Then his interactions with the author ended up being more frequent, going from one or two added comments to talking in private message. He learned more about the man, when the discussions went from talking about the story to more personal, rather relieved that he wasn't too insistent on asking about Mobei-jun.

Shang Qinghua was the one to suggest they meet up since one of the conventions he was attending would be in the same city as where Mobei-jun live. He was hesitant to accept but ended up doing it, something in him really wanting to meet the man.

So they did, Shang Qinghua waiting for him in a café near the place of the convention. Mobei-jun didn't really like how busy it was, but if he could have a good time, he could power through it. He found the man sitting in a corner, hunched over a notebook, probably taking note for a later chapter?