Prologue: A Night To Remember

Cherry

It was a warm summer night, the sounds of the night filled the air, and the kids were all asleep. Cherry was sitting on a log around a campfire with her fellow counselors. All of them were wearing their yellow camp shirts. When it came to bottoms, some wore shorts, others skirts, and still others decided to wear pants in this heat for some reason. Sitting beside her was her best friend Gregory, who was staring at his summer crush Melanie. Melanie was sitting on another log across from them, and she was talking with her sister Alice. Cherry couldn't see what Gregory saw in Melanie, but he insisted she was the one for him. Despite saying such he spent the entire summer avoiding her and everytime she showed him the tiniest bit of attention Cherry had to sit through an hour of his excited ranting. She was over it at this point. Seeing him stare at her longingly, hearing how he talked about her. Cherry couldn't deal with it everyday.

Melanie had long brown hair with two space buns on top of her head. She had her camp shirt tucked into some beige short shorts. Cherry didn't think she was all that pretty but maybe it's because she wasn't attracted to women. Gregory wasn't all that attractive himself either though. With all that curly hair, that thoughtful smile and tender eyes. He was also one of the few to still wear skinny jeans in this weather, which were very form fitting. On his wrist he wore a friendship bracelet, the other half to hers. It was a simple silver bracelet with half a heart that said "4ever" on it. Cherry had the matching half that said "bffs" on it.

"Come on man you've gotta talk to her at some point," Cherry said while patting her friends back. He just shrugged her hand off, sadly chuckling to himself.

"You know I can't do that."

"And why not? She's single and ready to mingle."

"Oh my god I hate you for saying that."

"You love me for it."

"Ok but I don't, I haven't even really spoken to her, why would she want to date me."

"And whose fault is it that you haven't talked to her?"

"I got nervous so what?!"

"Yeah nervous is one word you could use."

"Yeah ok I got nervous, yesterday she asked me to help her prepare the canoes and life vests for the lessons tomorrow. You know what I did?

"You ran away and already told me about it?"

"Well yes but-"

Cherry suddenly felt a tingling feeling on her hand. Looking down she spots a small black spider crawling onto her hand from the log. Cherry jumped up from the log shaking her hand frantically.

"GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF!!" she shouted, panickedly jumping around

"Hey what's wrong Cher?" came Gregorys concerned voice.

Her reply was a simple, "SPIDERRRR!!"

"What spider?" Gregory replied calmly..

Taking a look down at her hand she she's the spider is gone. Looking around at the ground around her there was no sign of the spider either. She could also feel the eyes of all the counselors staring at her.

"Sorry everyone, continue with what you're doing," she awkwardly said and took a seat next to Gregory again.

"You ok?" he asked when she sat down.

"Well I'm not sure, I don't think it bit me. Do you think I overreacted?"

"Totally, you were doing an entire dance," Gregory chuckled at his own joke.