Chapter 6

I stood, wiped my cheeks and unlocked the door, hearing him shuffling on the other side of the door, I paused for a moment. I took a deep breath and swung the door open.

I stared at him for a moment, taking in how disheveled and deeply troubled he really looked. A face I knew he would only reveal to me. He still looked handsome but a little more rugged than his usual sharp look. He looks paler, has dark circles under his eyes, his dark hair now longer revealed he has curls and the stubble on his chin had grown into more of a unkept beard. It didn't occur to me that he might also be struggling to deal with everything that happened. But what do I care if he feels bad. So he should. If he hadn't betrayed me in the first place to please his father, I would still have my family.

"Your hair is curly." The words left my mouth before I realised what I was saying.

Azra looked taken back. His mouth opened to reply but quickly shut when I took a step out of the coat closet and moved around him. I made my way to the little window facing the moonlake. The water now silvered by the bright moon above. This place was the first time I felt like I truly saw Azra, the person beneath the cold facade. He opened up to me about his late brother. He let his guard down and in return so did I. But none of that was real. I was a fool. I leant on the worktop looking away from the moonlake cringing at the memory of us laying under the stars.

"It was real." Azra said as though he read my thoughts. Shit, who knows maybe he can read my thoughts with me being his heartbond and all. I still didn't know anything about what it means to have a heartbond and to be honest I would rather not know.

Ignoring what he said, I took another deep breath and spun around to face him.

"Can you help me control my magic? The day of the passing is coming up and the light realms borders are weakening by the day. I need to repair the borders by then or my people will be left defenceless against the voiderz. I cannot let any more of my people die because of me" My voice shook at that last part. My chest hurt as I said each word.

"I won't let that happen." Azra said, his eyes were glazed over like he too had the same wretched feeling in his chest. "And yes. I will help you to control your magic, I'll teach everything I know"

Relief. I felt relief that I would have some guidance. Even if it is from him. He's been training for a long time for the day he inherits his fathers magic. If anyone can help me control this much power, it's him.

"But first, you're going to tell me everything you know about that little friend of yours back at that party" I slowly walked to the sofa and plonked myself right in the middle. I nodded to the opposite sofa for Azra to follow. "And please spare me no details" I forced a smile.

"Very well" He composed himself, his cool and collected mask falling back into place. This is the Azra I prefer, this is the Azra I can deal with. This version of Azra is more black and white. No emotions. Just business as usual. He fixed the collar of his black shirt and took the seat opposite. He slouched with his arms over the chair. A smug king in the making. The infamous Azra smirk was back.