Chapter 10 - Boreal

As Velvet thrust the great gates open, a rush of chilly air brushed their clothes and a layer of frost coated their hair. Ahead of them, a gentle fog settled over the quiet city, smothering the figures that disappeared into the haze around the crafted buildings of bricked stone and teal banners. A frosted pathway laid bare before them, snaking through the lines of houses at the sidelines as a white carpet to trek. Slopes of cascaded snow relaxed on the sharp roofes as they passed, while their owners simply engaged in conversation under the shadows of cover. The group eventually reached the silent centre under the bleached sun, the pavement of red brick coiling around the stairway to the Hellawes underpass; signalled by the blackened railings iced to the touch.

While they scanned the town during their search, a mass of people seemed to be conversing quite furiously in front a wide building. "There's a group of sailors, is that the guild?" Velvet questioned as the group walked over. Unfortunately, the yaksha's attention was caught elsewhere.

"Oh, hey, that weapon shop looks promising! Good luck with the shipwright search," he cheerfully announced, before grasping their poor malak by the shoulder. "Sarid, you're coming with me!" The white-haired man didn't have a chance to refuse, before he was ripped away from the group and over to the weapon shop.

Magilou sighed with a shrug, "Boys... Poor creatures just can't be seperated from their favourite toys, can they?" she groaned with a humourless smirk.

The remaining daemon frowned and looked off to the gradually freezing ground. "It's true," she grimly whispered. Fortunately, at least one of the last pair could speak sensibly, and stormed over to the bickering group of sailors. However, as Velvet questioned whether or not this was the guild they had been searching for, the man's ramblings reached her far-reaching ears; listening attentively.

"Damn that Dyle! What does he think he's doing trying to resist?" the man shouted angrily. While his temper seemed volatile, the officer at his side was of the same opinion.

"We wouldn't be in this mess if he were dead," the calmer and younger man spat irritably.

The daemon in disguise decided to step up and end their conversation, "Excuse me, I need a ship repaired," she asked with surprising politeness.

"Sorry, but we can't help!" However, they didn't repay her professionalism and wished her away with a sudden scowl; still sour from their issue.

Fighting the urge to let out a tch, Velvet swallowed her emotion and forced her words out smoothly. "What makes you say that?" she asked simply.

"Guild business is currently suspended," a noble and proper voice stated. Turning to face the new arrival, the daemon's eyes narrowed as she spotted that same royal blue on white she remembered so cruelly. "By order of Exorcist Teresa of the Abbey," the woman proudly announced with a flair. This exorcist bore similar colours to every other she had killed, however this one had adorned a long and marvellous dress to accent her wavy blonde hair and emerald eyes. Velvet easily waved off any importance of the person appearing in her memory, until a short shudder of a young boy at Teresa's side caught her attention. It was the same malak from before; soulless green eyes with a messy bundle of blonde hair - accented with a single ahoge pointing up strangely. Another one stayed at her side too, a much more pristeen platinum blonde that was neat around his face, bearing the same lifeless look while he stood.

Suddenly, the boy attempted to speak upon feeling a flash of recognition in his eyes, "Lady Teresa--"

"Number Two, did I give you permission to speak?" she rudely interrupted. The boy gasped out as he realised his stumble, choosing to lay silent at her side.

At her sudden show, the sailors all turned to face the exorcist, sincerity on their faces as lies came from their lips. "Lady Teresa, how long must this punishment of ours last? You know it was all Dyle's fault, don't you, milady?" the man pleaded with a respectful tone. The daemon rolled her eyes at his abrupt change in expression.