Chapter One

• • •

There was a familiar coolness to the Fall. When the leaves would crumble and fall off their high trees, drifting to the ground for parents to rake into piles and children to play in. The apple cider sold in large bottles, and the large feasts to welcome High Autumn. There was beauty in it all.

A boat, quite small for its intended use ripped through the sea like scissors through a paper. Small waves crashed against the side of it, salt collecting in imperfections and openings in the wood. "Woah!" called out Luffy as he and Zoro passed over a fairly large wave. The sun glimmered off the water, in promise of a wonderful day.

"We'll reach that island by late afternoon," said Zoro, blocking the sun out of his face with one hand as he squinted his eyes, referring to a small mass of land in the distance.

"You don't know what you're saying." A small anger vein popped up on Zoro's temple, who kept his cool despite being very offended by Luffy's comment. Zoro could lose his way on a straight path, and more often than not did lose his way on a straight path.

Zoro sighed, leaning over the side of the boat to let his right hand skim the cold water. It was nearly freezing, but he acquainted himself with the feeling. Times like this, Zoro wished he had a coat, despite never thinking to buy one [or never affording one] at any island he and Luffy landed on. "Zoro, it's cold!" 

"We've got a blanket somewhere, right?" There was a time where Zoro caught a cold out at sea, and Luffy pulled out an old blanket to wrap him up in. Times like those, Zoro didn't mind not having a doctor on their crew. Although he lacked medical knowledge, Luffy would do anything he could to keep Zoro safe. 

"Found it!" Luffy brought out a big wool blanket, a little dirty, but otherwise in fair shape. He held it up with a great smile, short black hair flying gently through the breeze. He was lucky to have a straw hat covering his head; something to keep him warm. "Come on Zoro, aren't you getting in?" Luffy wrapped the blanket around half his body and outstretched his rubber arm to give Zoro a space to crawl into.

"Idiot! I'm not cuddling with you." Zoro groaned with his face twisted in a cringe. He was trying hard not to give in. Too hard.

"Why not? We spoon all th--"

"No we do not!" A blatant lie.

"Fine, then I'll just take all the warmth for myself," said Luffy in a sassy tone, draping the blanket around himself and wrapping it snug. He melted to the feeling, body heat shrouding him in a warmth that the chilling Autumn winds couldn't penetrate. 

"Good." Zoro sat with his knees level to his chest, and his head rested on his knees. The position wasn't nearly as comfortable as he'd wish, but it was the only position that would trap heat well in his green haramaki. His stomach was warm, at least.

"Y'know, you're gonna catch another cold." Luffy was a pain in the ass, tempting Zoro like a kitten with a ball of yarn. 

"Oh screw off." 

An hour in the cold passed, before Zoro couldn't take it anymore and gave in to Luffy's offer. He crawled into the blanket with his captain, immediately drowned in a sea of prickling warmth. "That wasn't too bad, was it?" Zoro didn't respond, but his captain wasn't wrong. Snuggling together in the cold wasn't too bad.